We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somak Trip to Masa Mari

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Somak Trip to Masa Mari

We have scheduled a trip to the Masa Mari and a side trip to Amboseli Park beginning Sept 1st. Would love to hear from anyone with suggestions/info about Somak or what to wear/pack for the trip..Please offer suggestions regarding a video camera....we have a good 35mm camera but what a video??

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Somak Trip to Masa Mari

If you've got a video camera take it for those action shots.

Clothes - light weight but not light coloured as the dirt/dust just won't come out.

Smarter clothes for the evenings - long trouser usually required of men. Cardi or such like for the ladies as it can get chilly.

Binoculars

Plenty of camera film unless you are digital in which case plenty of memory

Battery back up for the video.

Swimming cosi cos most lodges have pools

Toilet roll and wet wipes

Sun block, malaria meds, mossie repellant

Hat, sunglasses, small amount of money.

Anything else?

Llandeilo, United...
reviews: 29
2. Re: Somak Trip to Masa Mari

Had a fantastic trip with Somak last December. Great organisation and a great driver (Peter) who managed to get us through torrential rain storms to the Masai Serena Lodge.

Do not be tempted to pack too much. Take a few 'easy dry' shirts and a pair or two of zip off trousers. One for clean and one for wash! If they are Craghoppers etc.. , they'll dry in a day. Take a fleece layer for the evening. Hopefully (can never tell these days), you wil not need waterproofs!

If you are driving between points, pick up a coulpe of extra bottles of mineral water if you want to save on room bill. Safe to buy at road stops as long as seals in place.

Where are you staying? Go for the hippo breakfast if at Serena Masai.

You'll have the benefit of Somak lounge at Nairobi pre international/Mombasa flights. We had fried fish and chips which was great before our flights.

Took my 35mm video camera and now have 4 DVD's of all our memories which we have shared with our fellow travelors. If you are comfortable with the camera you have; although editing via computer may be a bit of a pain; stick with it , as you are used to it, but please do try out windows software first.

I have to upload my 35mm to Windows movie maker - edit it (more functions than most of the digital versions) - then I download the windows movie maker finished article back onto 35mm on my camera - then upload again onto a dvd editing software before finally converting to DVD format and recording to DVD disc.

Takes ages but I find the finished product good. If you do not want to spend 8-10 hours sorting out yeach 3 hrsx 35mm tape then best buy a digital format camera that uses more up to date recording format. I'll probably leave it a year or two becuse the quality I get right noe is so good.

Have a great holiday!

HB

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 37
3. Re: Somak Trip to Masa Mari

I'm hoping Somak provides you with pre-trip planning advice..!.. Yes, you do need layers of clothing for the early morning & late afternoon chill - middays are usually warm and comfortable.

Others have said most everything - but I would certainly consider a video camera and it need not be anything more than the ones that are about $400 these days. If you don't already have it, go to Sam's or Costco for a good camera at a good price. Get it soon and learn how to use it!

Or not. A good 35mm camera you are comfortable with is also good.

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Somak Trip to Masa Mari

Hi there - just reading your advise around the Hippo Breakfast at the Mara Serena. I'm intrigued now - can you shed some more light on this as I am staying at the Mara Serena in September. Also, is this instead of a game drive?

Llandeilo, United...
reviews: 29
5. Re: Somak Trip to Masa Mari

No, usually they take you to the breakfast site after your am game drive. Full English breakfast, sparkling wine etc ... on the river bank. You can see hippos popping up and down in the river - the Masai take you for a little wander - wouldn't advise walking off on your own as there are some pretty big crocs around.

PS the breakfast site is not far from the Serena, so if you need the loo, it's not far to get 'home' after the breakfast!

UK
reviews: 2
6. Re: Somak Trip to Masa Mari

I did the Somak Masai Safari last August for my honeymoon. On the way to our Serena lodge in the Masai, we were all hungry and tired and wondered when we would get there, then as if by magic, through a small wooded area this amazing banquet had been arranged, chefs in white hats and so much gorgeous food and chilled beers alongside the river bank complete with Crocs, and Hippo's etc, as your sat there eating, truly wonderful and even better as we didn't know we were even doing it! Would highly recommend, and even more incredible there is a small toilet tent, with a proper plumbed in toilet! See link

flickr.com/photos/…

7. Re: Somak Trip to Masa Mari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...