We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Lamu Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
1 post

I am a strict vegetarian. so is there a possibility of getting good veg food here. I know this place is famous for its sea food

Edited: 2:51 am, November 26, 2012
7 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: food

Yes - just make sure you let the chef know before you sit down to eat or, if booking by telephone, tell them then. I'm a strict veggie like you so know how hard it can be in some places. If in doubt, the Indian restaurants will definitely be able to offer vegetarian and vegan options, and there are plenty of Indian restaurants throughout Kenya :-)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: food

There are no indian restaurants in Lamu. Plenty of cafes selling seafood dishes, rice pulao (meat based).

But you can get veg pizzas, pasta, cheese sandwiches in hotels. And street vendors selling veg snacks like samosas, bhajias & chapati. There's a vendor in Shela who sells delicious veg samosas & bhajia at 5 pm inside the village (next to one of the local shops.)

A very popular local delicacy for Sun breakast is Bahazi (cowpeas with coconut sauce) & mahamri (swahili doughnut).

Peponi Hotel in Shela has a nice menu, though quite expensive.

If you're a strict veggie, sorry, there are limited options, that said you won't starve.

Edited: 6:08 am, November 26, 2012
Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
344 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: food

You find vegetarian dishes in Lamu:

Seafront Cafe: very nice coconut vegetables (300 KES), tomato soup with chapati, coconut beans (200 KES)

Lamu Palace Hotel: nice vegetable pizza (550 KES)

Bush Garden: tomato soup with garlic bread, Spaghetti

Sunsail Hotel: rosti potatoes (200 KES), Spaghetti

There is more available but that's what I remember.

And try fresh juices! Very nice & cheap!

Edited: 6:22 am, November 26, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: food

Seafood is NOT vegetarian, Stef! Indian vegetarian (i.e. Hindu) is no meat, no fish, no eggs.

Vegetarians don't eat any kind of flesh, irrespective of whether it's animal or fish.

Edited: 8:30 am, November 26, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
164 reviews
5. Re: food

Travel247 - all hotels in Kenya can cater to vegetarians, as Kenya has a large Asian population, who travel extensively. Let your hotel ow before you leave home your dietary requirements, so they are prepared.

Also as Giriama and Stef and FL410 have said, explore a bit, and you shall find.

Happy eating.

3 posts
6. Re: food

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities for vegetarians. Most local hotels feature greens, beans and chapati or ugali, which are a standard meal here. And there is street food also like Swahili pizza--eggs and chips wrapped in thin dough and fried. If you are looking for something more fresh and green, try Bustani cafe in the quiet backstreets. They have fresh salads and sandwiches, soups and yummy dips for fresh veggies.

Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: food

a little bit more upmarket the Moonrise at the Lamu House Hotel serves some good vegeterian dishes , Dhall , grilled vegetables , marinated in good olive oil served with feta cheeze , ricotta raviloi with sage butter sauce , vegetable pakoras with pili pili sauce , tomato mozarella and basil , gazpacho , roasted and gratinated cowliflowers , tomatos and chikc peas salad ...and if you ask the chef he will make you more .. you will not be hungry in Lamu :)

Reply to: food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island
Recent Conversations