We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eco lodge?

Which Lamu Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 16
eco lodge?

Hi, I do hope someone can help please ...

I am planning to visit Lamu Island next January 2013. We made our selection of destinations before realizing how expensive accomodations are on the island!

However, a friend told me of an 'eco lodge' she stayed at, at an island close by Lamu. It was clean, food was great, basic small huts to sleep in, and it "wasn't very expensive." The catch is she can't remember the name! Any idea which place this might be please? (She said they had to take a boat to Lamu ...)

If not, I've been looking at Jambo House to book. It looks clean, great reviews here, and doesn't seem too expensive.

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated, thanks!

Pauline

8 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
1. Re: eco lodge?

I'm sure the place your friend is talking about is Diamond Beach Village, on Manda.

Richard

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 16
2. Re: eco lodge?

Thank you Richard, I'm sure that must be it. Have you (or anyone else stayed there?) I just read the reviews here, and it sounds promising - after a 2 week tour of volunteering in Uganda ... !

Pauline

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: eco lodge?

Hi - have a look @ Dudu Villa. It's btwn Lamu & Shela.

http://www.duduvillas.com/

Remember, Lamu is a harbour town that means no direct beach access.

Besides, Jambo Hse, there's Yumbe Hse in Lamu

Holland
reviews: 1
4. Re: eco lodge?

Diamond beach is nice. But also look at Banana House in Shela, very nice place too!

Holland
reviews: 1
5. Re: eco lodge?

I was there 1.5 year ago, and I am going again! Can't wait :-)

London, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: eco lodge?

I originally booked to stay in Diamond Beach Village last year, but they had to close.

They've reopened now and from what I saw of the place (and from speaking to the owner who was on Manda Island when I was), it looks great.

I stayed at Mkoko House on Manda Island, 3-5 mins from Diamond Beach Village, which I would highly recommend.

reviews: 9
7. Re: eco lodge?

i think that the one are looking for is abduls eco nest

just behind town in the shamba , very nice lodge on stelts , good food and very affortable

8. Re: eco lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 pm, November 18, 2012

Reply to: eco lodge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island
Recent Conversations