We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamu and Mandu safety situation

Which Lamu Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Lamu and Mandu safety situation

Hi,

What is the current safety situation in Lamu?

Are the beaches in Mandu safe enough?

Ate there currently many tourists? Haven't people started to keep away from those places?

Thanks

19 replies to this topic
Mombasa, Kenya
reviews: 14
1. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

The situation now in Lamu now is calm.I have not had of any insecurity of late.

Lamu Island, Kenya
reviews: 34
2. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

Lamu is fully of tourists now because of Maulidi Festival. Lamu is safe, tourists are feeling safe. Police are patroulling the sea, there are Police on Shela Beach and also evening time Police are patroulling Manda Beach. You could do all boat trips like Manda Toto Island, Takwa Ruins, Kipungani although I'm not sure about Kiwayu Island but all other trips are on for sure.

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 7
3. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

Just returned from Lamu, my 4th visit spread over 20 years. The Maulidi Festival was just gearing up when we left. For me, it was like the old days... People had time to talk , Lamu Town was not crowded with tour groups and I could find place at the bar in Peponi's. Meeting up with my old friends there and my Danish fishing Capt. Nils, who told me his charter business was doing better than ever.

Only negative was that the Beach Boys had less fresh meat to sink their claws into, but learn a few words of Swahili and they evaporate once your face is known. We did brillant dhow trips several times during our 2 weeks on Lamu. Our only regret was not having another week to spend in paradise....

"Remember wherever you go, there you are"

Glasgow, United...
4. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

seen presence of lots of security last year in october along lamu harbour, tourists were still trickling in,

you can see them being ferried between shela and lamu, and ferried between lamu and manda aport,

scene on the beaches was a bit less, but on walk abouts in shela and lamu tourists were visible,

with the already presence of army in the border and moving in on the unknown, its getting known it should be alright in lamu.

happy maulidi.

London, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

This is great to hear.

I'm going in less than a month and I can't wait!

Laramie, Wyoming
reviews: 1
6. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

What is the safety situation these days. i am a single female traveling alone? Thank you for your input.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
7. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

Erin,

That area is now much more secure due to presence of security forces and the fact that the Kenyan army drove the pirates and Al Shabaab far from their previous bases just over the border in Somali, that were used to launch those attacks, and forced them right back into a remote last outpost, and the Somalian government has retaken control of most of the country. The UK and US governments and others have withdrawn their advisories for Lamu and it is very much open for business.

Laramie, Wyoming
reviews: 1
8. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

Thank you so much. Any suggestions for authentic adventurous activities?

London, United...
reviews: 5
9. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

A friend emailed me today as I was planning to go. She had been living out there but left a few days ago. She recommends that I don't visit Lamu, the mood is very tense at the moment and has been for many months and there is a lot of animosity in the air… especially towards non Muslim women. Apparently acid attacks have happened a few times (apart from that attack on the two women in Zanzibar) along the coastal islands and she herself felt threatened and unsafe. Security was and remains a big issue. Even in the beautiful private estates, with lots of security, security is an issue and also with the two nicest hotels there. There are apparently many Somalian extremists living in Kenya, even in coastal communities.

Lamu Island, Kenya
reviews: 34
10. Re: Lamu and Mandu safety situation

People in Lamu are still same friendly as usual. I'm non-muslim, I live here permanently and I feel completely safe. The mood here is defenitely NOT tense. In Lamu there were never any acid attacks (I heard about it that it happened in Zanzibar) but NOT in Lamu.

Edited: 6:21 am, September 23, 2013
Reply to: Lamu and Mandu safety situation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island
Recent Conversations