We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Lamu

Which Lamu Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Randburg, Gauteng...
Isle of Lamu

Hi I saw a chain email that included an image of a stilt suite that is water locked and it was titled Isle of Lamu. Is this an actual place?

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Isle of Lamu

Not that I know of. There are very few hotels on Lamu and the ones on the beaches (Kizingoni, Kipungani, Majlis (Manda) etc) are not up on stilts. I stand to be corrected if anyone has further information, though.

Edited: 9:20 am, December 19, 2011
nyc
2. Re: Isle of Lamu

No 'over-the-water' properties at Lamu or other East Africa countries that I know of, either.

This type of accommodations are often found in the Maldives or Tahiti/Bora Bora, and maybe others (Cook Islands)... but not at/near Lamu Is. Kenua.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
3. Re: Isle of Lamu

Some of the houses at Kipungani Explorer are on stilts, as are one or two smaller properties (Abdul's Eco-Nest?). And there's the floating place between Lamu town and Manda island.

Richard

nyc
4. Re: Isle of Lamu

WOW, good to know. Glad to learn something new. Been meaning to get to Kipungani for years... guess I should finally do so. :-)

However, they don't appear to be the 'over-the-water' cottages as those found in the island countries I mention. Rather on stilts over the sand and mangroves, also good for air circulation.

Edited: 4:12 pm, December 19, 2011
Huntington Beach...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Isle of Lamu

It's actually Laamu in the Maldives. Here's the link: intourmaldives.com/en/…

Nairobi, Kenya
6. Re: Isle of Lamu

"Some of the houses at Kipungani Explorer are on stilts"

Is this recent? I stayed there in January 2010 and there were seven ground-based bandas, no accommodations on stilts and certainly no water-locked stilts accommodations as enquired about by the OP.

Edited: 11:37 am, December 26, 2011
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
7. Re: Isle of Lamu

No, sorry, I'm wrong about Kipungani, which I've never visited. Just shows you should never guess if you don't know!

The stilt buiding appears to be a sundowner banda or something similar, accessed by a pier.

Richard

8. Re: Isle of Lamu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, January 12, 2012
Mombasa, Coast...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Isle of Lamu

well, to clear this up: Kipungani Explorer does have a second row of rooms on stilts, behind the beach, giving them a sea-view. There is also a beach bar on stilts that was connected to the land by a bridge, long gone.

The Lamu Floating Bar and Crab Shack with Cabins $10-$80 floats between Lamu Town and the world's coolest hotel and bar, Peponi in Shela. Its built of local thatch and sits on 250 plastic drums. It has the same style of simple luxury as Kiwayu Safari Village, re-opening soon. I should know, as I built all three of them (not Peponi!)

Edited: 5:31 am, August 07, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
10. Re: Isle of Lamu

"the world's coolest hotel and bar, Peponi in Shela."

Seriously? According to who? Someone who hasn't travelled much, I guess!

Edited: 8:29 am, August 07, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island
Recent Conversations