We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lamu ok for gay travellers?

Which Lamu Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
lamu ok for gay travellers?

is it a nice place to go to lamu as we are a group of young gay uni students? info + tips appreciated. sean.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

Don`t display any affection in public ie; cuddling or kissing, but act responsibly with a bit of decorum and you will be fine what you do in your hotel room is your own business.

nairobi
2. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

As drakesdrum have said.just be on the look out. otherwise...............

Edited: 4:01 am, June 22, 2011
Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 4
3. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

You shouldn't have a problem. I agree with the previous posts..........no public displays of affection, even holding hands. This is usually not acceptable anyway, between couples, gay or not. On the whole, being prepared to change your behaviour, when visiting another country is really appreciated, as it shows that you have respect for another culture.

Also bear in mind that being gay/lesbian and practising, is illegal in Kenya.

Having said that, a friend of mine who is gay recently travelled to Kenya and stayed in a remote village, where they are not used to tourists and had no problems at all - he just didn't discuss his sexuality, or do anything to attract unwanted attention.

Telford, Shropshire
reviews: 70
4. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

Kileleshwa - I'm confused. I have seen lots of Kenyan men holding hands (not gay men). I commented and the reply I received was that this was not unusual. I have also given my husband the odd kiss or too (peck not snog) and held the hand of my driver when walking through busy places I've never been before. Would this kind of holding hands be classed more like a parent/child relationship?

The last time I witnessed it was the manager of a hotel holding hands with a fellow worker walking through reception obviously on their way to the offices.

Re Being gay in Kenya - take the advice above, no public displays of affection between same sex couples, you'll be OK.

5. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, August 10, 2011
Edited: 1:35 am, August 10, 2011
San Diego...
6. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

Why can't a couple (not gay) hold hands? I'm also confused. I certainly understand that a gay couple can't show any public affection.

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 1
7. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

couples hold hands,everytime.Have seen countless couples kissing.......in restaurants etc,but as for gay???i dont know..........first its it isnt legal in kenya,2nd believe you me,you will end up grabbing everyones attention,3rd people will look at you as if you are nuts!haha

So......control your feelings or do wherever in private,not public.

Enjoy your stay.

Zurich, Switzerland
8. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

Also,Lamu is ok......if you want to learn/see the arab and swahili heritage......but i think you and your friends should also give Malindi town a shot where there are lots of historical sites like the ravishing vasco dagama,Masai mara,home of the famous and mt.Kilmanjaro africans highest mountain as you tour amboselli national park.

Have a blast

schoten belgique
9. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

very safe , dont worry , have a lot of gay friends visiting Lamu , no problems , they dont have problems with men holding each other hands , dont thik they are idiots in Lamu , it is just another , very nice , cultur and i am sure that you know how to behave normaly . there is nothing wrong by being gay , not in the world , not in Lamu .

10. Re: lamu ok for gay travellers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, October 02, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island
Recent Conversations