We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

Hello

We've heard of a restraunt that is a must when in Nairobi. We've also been told that once in our hotel, do not leave it. Can anyone advise on whether this restraunt is worth venturing out to, how to best get there from The Holiday Inn and how much it will cost to get there and back.

Very grateful of any comments.

Regards

Lisa

Essex
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
1. Re: The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

Sorry, didn't see the earlier posting. Have read all your comemnts - most useful. It's a shame that it doesn't seem to offer the same experience that I have heard about, the exotic meats etc.

Lisa

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
113 reviews
2. Re: The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

Carnivore is great if you really like eating meat! The nightclub there is pretty good too. The Holiday Inn is in Westlands and it is fine to walk around there. Do not carry a handbag or wear jewellry or anything that might tempt opportunists! Ask the concierge at the Holiday Inn what you should pay for a cab to Carnivore, it's a while since I was there so I can't remember. Agree the fare with the cab driver before you go and it might be easiest to arrange for him to collect you. Getting cabs in Nairobi is easy. Haggle for the best fare and don't be afraid to haggle hard, it's all part of the transaction.

I know there are many scare stories about Nairobi but I lived there for several years and did not have one scary incident. Keep your wits about you, don't walk around town carrying anything that looks like it might be worth stealing and you will be fine. Ask advice from the hotel and they'll tell you where to go and where to steer clear of. There are great bars, restaurants and clubs near the Holiday Inn so if you decide not to go to Carnivore you'll still have fun. Try Gypsies Bar and there's another one at Westlands roundabout that I can't remember the name of but it has a good bar, restaurant and nightlub, the hotel will know it.

It's a great city and an amazing country so enjoy it.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

There are some good restaurants in Westlands if you decide not to go to Carnivore. Mediteranneo for Italian, Tamambo which is an African brasserie owned by the same company that owns Carnivore, and Haandi for Indian. I've been to Tamambo and Mediteranneo (though a different branch of the latter at the Junction) and Haandi gets good comments here.

If you decide to go to Carnivore, my guess is it shouldn't cost more than 1000 KES each way for a taxi.

I agree that as long as you take sensible precautions, it's generally safe to walk around during the day (check with your hotel staff about specific areas). I'd stick with taxis at night.

Athens
Level Contributor
26 posts
4. Re: The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

I absolutely agree, stick to taxis at night. Keeps any worries away and are reasonably cheap.

For some restaurants you can take a look at my restaurant guide on my website

www.bushdrums.com/news/restaurant-guide.php

You will also find a detailed description of the carnivore there.

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

I was a little disappointed in the Carnivore. Its pretty much a tourist thing, although I must admit the night club was fun. I'm glad I went just so that I can say that I went, but I wouldn't go again. In the evening, I would t ake a cab anywhere you want to go. I had no problems when I was there in Sept and Oct...but I was usually with 2 other people most of the time.

Kenya
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
6. Re: The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

Hi,

1000/= each way in cab from right outside the Holiday Inn. The dinner would cost you about US$ 20.00 to 25.00 each minus the drinks. Go indulge you will love it. By the way DLMCC the other pub your are talking about on westlands roundabout is called Pavement Club and Cafe worht a visit also due to the night club.

Enjoy your stay and just be cautious thats all.

Northern California
Level Contributor
771 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

I dined at Carnivore in August 2004. I have read (and I am certain that you can find posts here) that the game selection has been greatly reduced since I was there. If you do not enjoy meat, it is definitely not a good dining experience. I would never return. It is loud and full of tourist groups. I am not much of a meat eater and found that one small bite of most of the game meat was quite enough. I am one of those who really like Haandi--wonderful Indian curry. I have eaten there twice, last August and 2 years earlier.

Yes to taking a cab, regardless of where you dine. Nairobi is not a city that visitors should be walking around in at night.

8. Re: The Carnivore Restrauant, Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 22, 2009