We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to "do" the Carnivore?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
somerset, england
reviews: 10
Best way to "do" the Carnivore?

Hi

We quite fancy trying the experience of the Carnivore restuarant on our one night in Nairobi. What is the best way of doing this - I see some little tour companies offer a trip that is priced around $40 - $50, or is it better to make a reservation direct with Carnivore and then get a taxi from the hotel (price agreed up front)?

What do other people do?

Ta v. much!

Near London
reviews: 51
1. Re: Best way to "do" the Carnivore?

When I go to Carnivore I generally ring & book (or you can email them) then get a taxi. The price of the meal is 1350 Ksh (less than $20) so you would be very unlikely to pay more than the $40 per person quoted.

London, UK
reviews: 1
2. Re: Best way to "do" the Carnivore?

Hiya, do as Nairobivisitor says. Book directly with Carnovire and then get a taxi from the hotel with prices agreed up front. If you go on one of the nights when they have the Simba Salon nightclub in operation then you make it a clubbing night as well! Where abouts are you going to stay in Nairobi?

somerset, england
reviews: 10
3. Re: Best way to "do" the Carnivore?

Thanks for the advice.

How expensive are taxi's in Nairobi - how much could I expect to pay (roughly) for a taxi to and from the Jacarnda to Canrivore?

And are taxi's from the hotel reliable, i.e. will they return at the agreed time to take you back to the hotel?

Although I think booking the restaurant myself and getting the hotel to get me a taxi will be a bit cheaper, I am worried about the safety aspect and so wonder whether its worth paying a few pounds extra to have a proper "trip" to the Carnivore?

Thanks, Nikki

Near London
reviews: 51
4. Re: Best way to "do" the Carnivore?

A taxi from the city to Carnivore would be no more than 1000 bob each way. If u want the taxi to collect you don't pay him until the return trip. As for safe/reliable taxis, the hotel will arrange a good taxi for you,.

Some taxis are a little "mechanically unsound" but the hotel concierge will know who to call for a good car. Be prepared to bargain on the price because the see mzungus (White People) as an easy money maker

the world
reviews: 6
5. Re: Best way to "do" the Carnivore?

Going through a tour companies is nonsense. Get a taxi at your hotel (from downton to Carnivore it should be around 600 ksh). After the meal, just ask the restaurant host to order a taxi for you, they know several taxi drivers who work with them all year long and who will come in a few minutes.

The meal price is fixed but expect to pay much more with the wine and the delicious dawa cocktail.

After the meal, you can have drinks at the Simba saloon standing newt to the restaurant.

Carnivore is a usual experience for tourists but don't expect anything exceptionnal, the food is average.

6. Re: Best way to "do" the Carnivore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 24, 2009