We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito in nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
mosquito in nairobi

i have recieved conflicting advice about mosquitos in Nairobi.

As i am in Nariobi for 7 days in JAN and will be visiting the local attractions do i need mosquito repellant or malarone?

United Kingdom
reviews: 20
1. Re: mosquito in nairobi

Our GP's travel clinic was absolutely adament that we would not need our Malarone for Nairobi as it isn't a malaria region.

Don't think it follows that there are no mozzies there necessarily, just not malaria carrying ones. I would check with your own GP first but on the advice of ours I'd have taken repellant but not Malarone.

Near London
reviews: 54
2. Re: mosquito in nairobi

Just a word of warning. My fiancee's 6 yo brother nearly died of malaria about 6 months ago. He is Kenyan (& so should have a degree of natural resistence) and has never left Nairobi in his life. So be careful with the assumption that there is no malaria carrying mosquitoes in Nairobi. Malarone may be expensive but a funeral is a lot more!!!!!

St. Neots, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: mosquito in nairobi

I have just returned from Kenya,although i did not stay in Nairobi,advice from my GP was that anywhere in Kenya he would highly recommend Anti Malaria tabs,we used Malarone and had no side effects.

On returning to the UK i came down with flu like Symptons,after ringing GP,he said it was more than likely Flu,but because i had been to Kenya he immediately arranged for me to have a blood test

,i am still awaiting results.Don,t take the chance take Anti Malaria tabs and have a great holiday .

Regards Larry

United Kingdom
reviews: 20
4. Re: mosquito in nairobi

Is there any basis for the assumption that if you've once lived in a malaria country you have a 'natural resistance' to malaria? How are you supposed to have built up this resistance?

A young British woman has just died from malaria for making that assumption and I wonder why people think they have any sort of immunity.

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: mosquito in nairobi

Hi, My wife is Kenyan and her family including an Uncle(who is a Dr.) all say there is malaria in Nairobi, so get those tablets.

6. Re: mosquito in nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, August 22, 2009