We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito repellent

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manhattan, New york...
mosquito repellent

Can someone recommend a good mosquito repellent to take to kenya.....For a two week trip to four parks.......how much should i take?

Northern California
reviews: 54
1. Re: mosquito repellent

I would take some 95-100% DEET and some less strong DEET. Try the less-strong DEET first. If it works, no need to use the stronger stuff. It's nasty. REI sells some "jungle juice" that is 95% DEET, although I cannot say whether REI sells it online at REI.com. Most pharmacies do. Also, check out the "Off" towelettes. I don't recall what the DEET % is in them, but they are a handy way to use bug-off. Beware of the towelettes that some resorts supply--they are sometimes kind of dried out and weak.

I highly recommend that you not rely solely on bug repellent, but also take Malarone. It is pretty impossible to keep the repellent fresh and on all body parts.

Oxfordshire
reviews: 1
2. Re: mosquito repellent

Agree with everything written by previous contributor need two different levels of protection and definately take malarone .malaria is a problem out in Keyna. however I only got two bites rest of my family got zero. Majority of those I spoke to were not bitten at all.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 11
3. Re: mosquito repellent

hi,

Taske some Avon Skin-so-soft dry oil spray...works every time..

after you evening shower spray it all over then apply deet to the wrists, ankles and feet....

Northern California
reviews: 54
4. Re: mosquito repellent

spsand -- You did not mention when and where you are going. The place where my daughter got a number of mosquito bites was Amboseli. Also, if you are planning on visiting any Masaai villages, really slather on the heavy duty DEET -- flys are everywhere because of the cattle.

yorkshire
reviews: 13
5. Re: mosquito repellent

Drakesdrum .. Happy , healthy new year to you.

Would you think we need the high strength deet for a 2 week stay on Diani Beach .? We've got the malarone , dettol soap, anti bacterial gel and wipes, theAvon SSS is hopefully coming soon. also would you think the plug in mossie to be a must have?

(Hubby seems to attract biting flies and is susceptible to cellulitis )

Flying out on the 15th Jan

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 11
6. Re: mosquito repellent

hi, applemac,

thank you for your good wishes, and returns to you all.....

other than a spacesuit... i think you have it all,

we bought the little mozzie coils in the local supermarket to burn in the bathroom.....and they worked a treat.....

I have just had an email from a friend in mombasa to say the Masai Mara is very bad...... the roads are a no no and visitors have been stuck for up to 6 hours.... shocking really because this park is supposed to be looked after by the local council not the government and they get massive amounts of money......say no more......nudge nudge wink wink........

somerset, england
reviews: 10
7. Re: mosquito repellent

Ed

Any more info that your friend in Mombasa has would be a great help, we are having a nightmare are due to visit the Mara by road on 21st Jan.

You will see on my other post - we have spoken to the Kenyan Tourist Board in London (our own tour operator is useless) and they seem to think things are getting a bit better but would rather hear it from someone "on the ground". Eek, I wonder how bad it has to be for the tour ops to change itinerary and thus risk losing bookings?

I can't beleive the one and only year I am going to "do the dream" and this happens.

I have been working with a school in Shanzu (mikoroshoni) as did some fundraising for them and my contact in this country is going to contact the Headteacher there to get a bit more info - I will keep everyone posted.

Nikki

CA
8. Re: mosquito repellent

And be sure to where long sleves and pants - khaki good choice. Even in the heat you will appreciate the protection from the sun & bugs. Deet is always my fav.

9. Re: mosquito repellent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 22, 2009