We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 29
Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

My best friend & I are thinking about spending 2 days in Nairobi after working with an NGO in Arusha for two weeks in June. How close is downtown Nairobi to the airport? Also, are there many worthwhile sights to see in just two days? Any suggestions? Is it safe for two women travelling together?

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

Jomo Kenyatta airport to downtown Nairobi takes approx 30 minutes depending on traffic. Wilson airport is a little closer. Precision Air flies between Kilimanjaro and Jomo Kenyatta. Air Kenya and Safarilink fly between Arusha/Kilimanjaro and Wilson. There's also a shuttle which runs twice daily between Arusha and Nairobi and takes about 5 hours (you'll go through immigration at the Namanga border in between).

Here's a previous thread which listed a few things to do in Nairobi -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294207-i9695-k478…

Take sensible precautions during the day and do not walk around at night. It's generally safe to walk around the downtown area in the daytime, but check with the hotel staff and see what they advise. Leave any valuables in the hotel safe and carry only what you need for the day. Stick with taxis at night and have the taxi wait for you and bring you back to the hotel.

Hope this helps.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

I wanted to add that with 2 days time you can also travel outside of Nairobi to Lake Naivasha and/or Lake Nakuru, either as a day trip or overnight. They're about 2-3 hours from Nairobi, but I don't know if you'll have spent any time on safari in Tanzania already or what your interests are.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
reviews: 40
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

Depending on your interest there are many places to visit in Nairobi:

- Railway Museum

- Orphanage

- Giraffe center

- Karen Blixen Coffe Garden

- Nairobi National Park

- Carnivore Restaurant

- KICC View Plateform

Amsterdam
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

Hi Longhorn, it is an exciting place Nairobi is...you can travel from Arusha to Nairobi using shuttles that operate daily...there are a number of them. Also, there are a number of areas you can visit in Nairobi that could interest you very much:

- The Nairobi national park, where you can see all of the big five animals except the elephant.

- Giraffe manor and Karen blixen museum

- Snake Park , where several rare snake species are on display, and the Nairobi museum

- The famous University of Nairobi

- Bomas of Kenya for traditional cultural shows

- Carnivore restaurant for delicious exotic meals

- As patty said, you can visit Lake Naivasha or Lake Nakuru. You can also visit further places other than there e.g. the bubbling hot springs of Lake Bogoria or Amboseli tour or thompson falls in aberdares

There are tons of other places you can visit. Yeah its pretty safe during the day. At night is not very safe in some areas However it is usually better to have a designated guide who can ensure you dont waste time wound up looking for places around the town. Even with your guide, you can travel safely at night. These guys can help you they are at a site called ealuxuryshuttle.com for advice and more trips and packages. Sorry for many stories but East Africa is a lovely place...theres much to write home about...

Cheers, hope you enjoy your stay.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 29
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

Thanks for all of the fantastic suggestions thusfar...keep them coming!!!

Aussie in Nairobi
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

My family and I have been in Nairobi for a month. We have really enjoyed the Giraffe Centre where you can hand feed giraffes. Nearby is a place called Sheldricks Elephant Orphanage. It is only open from 11-12 and they bring out baby elephants that they are caring for. At the Nairobi National Park you can do a few things. Firstly, you can go by car and drive around the park looking at all the animals. This was our first "safari" experience and we thought it was great. We were there all day, though. You get a 24 hour pass so you could come and go I think. Also at the park is the safari walk which is fun and also the animal orphange which is interesting as well. You have to pay for each place. It's $40US for the park and I think $10 each for the other two.

All of these places are on the way to Karen where the Karen Blixen Museum is. I haven't been there yet, but plan to go. The area is very green and picturesque. We haven't been to Carnivore's yet but there is a neat bar called Casablancas in the Kilimani area. It has an outdoor area with open fires and chairs around them. Well worth a visit.

Anyway, hope this helps and you have fun.

Vancouver
reviews: 18
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

The Giraffe Centre and the Karen Blixen Museum (which was the house used in the Out of Africa movie, not her actual house) are both in Karen. The Giraffe Centre is 500 Shillings. The Elephant Orphanage is about 300-500 shillings and is great. Be careful with the time. The show starts at 11am and ends at noon. No ifs and or buts about it.

The Boma was great fun and was about 500 - 600 shillings.

The National Museum was closed when I was there last month.

Another place is the Norfolk Hotel (dress up for lunch). The bar is famous and it is where "The Flame Trees of Thika" began.

8. Re: Itinerary suggestions for two days in Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 18, 2009