We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday safety

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South west, Western...
Holiday safety

Hi,

My hubby and I are going to holiday in Nairobi in february '07 for 9 days before we go on to India for two weeks. I am excited but at the same time so frightened about the safety issues. We are going to Nairobi as Hubby was born there (lived in Karen), but left when he was 7 years old when his family moved back to the UK. So our trip is for him to revisit as he has so many happy childhood memories. We are not planning to attend a safari, but want to see what Nairobi has to offer.... Is this a safe thing to do? How can we make this safer?

Near London
reviews: 51
1. Re: Holiday safety

Provideed u keep ur wits about you Nairobi is relatively safe in daylight. Just don't flash your wealth by wearing expensive jewellery. Stick to taxis with yellow stripes down the side unless ur feeling really adventurous. The Giraffe centre is worth a visit (it is near Karen). Boma of Kenya is also pretty interesting as are the markets. After dark do not walk out alone. It is a high crime city but so is London, Sydney and a number of other cities worldwide. If you are sensible it is quite safe. I visited one of the "estates" with my kenyan fiancee & provided i was not looking like i had anything to steal i was ok. Don't forget the average wage in kenya is 40 USD a month.

South west, Western...
2. Re: Holiday safety

Thank you for your reply. Certianly sounds like good sensible advise. I have gone back through old messages posts and found a lot on safety and I am now feeling more comfortable. Thank you once again.

Kara

London, United...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Holiday safety

Nairobivisitor said pretty much all that neds to be said but may have forgotten the museum, the butterfly park, and the archives

Enjoy your trip its a wonderful country and Karen froest is worth a visit - beautiful.

4. Re: Holiday safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:25 am, August 26, 2009