We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Kibera

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Visit Kibera

If you have a few hours to spare in Nairobi, step outside the tourist 'bubble' and see how over 1 million people live in Kibera, the world's second largest slum. Also the location for the film the Constant Gardener, Kibera is a thriving and dynamic community that the Kenyan government hasn't put on the map. This isn't an exercise in voyeurism; there are many charities that are keen for visitors to 'learn by seeing'. Before I went to Kenya I couldn't find Kibera in the usual travel guides but did read that it is 'a dangerous place'. However, research also found some very positive reports and I was encouraged to visit. Last week my 15 year old son and I visited the Kibera Community Youth Programme (KCYP), in return for $25 contributions to the programme we were given a guided tour of Kibera. We were made to feel very welcome, learned a lot about the community, the challenges faced by young people and the great work that is being done.

Kibera is to the south west of Nairobi, a taxi ride from the city centre. You should arrange your visit in advance. More info and contact details at www.kcyp.kabissa.org. If you plan on going, check in advance if there is anything useful you can take with you, such as books or sports equipment.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Visit Kibera

You are quite right to highlight the plight of the Kibera 'slum'

if any person is going to visit ,please take some needles and thread

they cost an arm and a leg in kenya ,and to be able to stitch and repair their already threadbare clothes would be a great help....

There is a little shop just before you get there (sorry it was 4 years ago ) and you can buy Maize (ugali) and rice very cheap at least some of the children will get one meal a day ......

2. Re: Visit Kibera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 22, 2009