We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling and jetlag

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manhattan, New york...
traveling and jetlag

I will be going to Kenya for two weeks in Feb.....i plan to arrive a couple of days before my "tour' begins ....i am flexible in making flight arragements and would like some advice as to whether it is best to do the whole flight at once and then sleep forever once i am in Nairobi...or fly to Europe, stay overnight in a hotel and then continue to Nairobi.....i am a senior and fatigue easily....so i am willing to pay for the extra nights in either place......also, which airlines fly to Nairobi? i will be leaving from New york city...( JFK, LaGuardia or Newark) I might even be able to use frequent flier miles for this trip...i can book my own flights or the tour agency can book for me.....Also, my tour will only be spending one night in Nairobi and I was hoping to see a couple of things there ( after catching up with sleep) Thanks for your replies

susan

Northern California
reviews: 57
1. Re: traveling and jetlag

Unless you want to detour through the Persian Gulf, as far as I know, the 2 airlines that fly [directly] from Europe to Nairobi are British Air and Kenya Airways (which is an affiliate of KLM). We fly from California--5 or so hours longer than your flight from NY. On both of our trips to Africa, we have spent the night at Heathrow and then flown to Nairobi the next day. Our flights from California to Europe are always overnight flights arriving at +/- 6AM in London. So it would be possible for us to go straight through, as the KQ flight leaves very later morning or early afternoon. The flight to Nairobi is 8 hours, though.

If you decide to fly via London rather than via Amsterdam, I can recommend the Hilton at Heathrow. It is about a 2 minute walk through a covered walkway, from Terminal 4 at Heathrow. Kenya Air flights leave from Terminal 4. Our arriving flights (United) always come into Terminal 3 at Heathrow, but the inter-terminal train (Heathrow Express) is an easy one-stop to Terminal 4. There are a lot of other hotels at Heathrow, but all are off the airport grounds, requiring a cab ride--that is why I like the Hilton at Terminal 4.

It may be that flying from NY/NJ, you have (better) options of which I am not aware.... One thing--you might consider using your FF miles to upgrade to business class. At least during this past August, the KQ flight from Nairobi to London was an overnight flight. KQ runs a very nice business class (actually, the airline doesn't have a "1st class")--seats make particularly good beds.

manhattan, New york...
2. Re: traveling and jetlag

To JP and Mom.....thank you for your reply......it really clarifys things for me......I believe that i can take British Airways from NY to London and then change planes and take another British airways flight to Kenya.....i probably have some options for the first leg of the trip but as you have said, either BA or Kenya Airline would be the second leg....

I think that I would opt for some downtime in London ,... thanks for the info about the Heathrow Hilton......besides it would probably be best to have some time between flights in case of weather delays from NY at that time of year.

Great thought about using FF miles for an upgrade to Business Class.....it would surely make the trip more comfortable .....if i could get some sleep on the plane, maybe i could actually keep my eyes open to do some sightseeing on my own once i get to Kenya..

I have traveled quite a bit but can't remember when i was as excited about a trip as for this one....

The longest time in the air was a direct flight from NY to Hawaii..

Thanks again..........................Susan

Qualicum Beach...
reviews: 48
3. Re: traveling and jetlag

I have an easy time flying, and my flight last month, I had an overnight flight to Amsterdam and slept all the way. After a two hour layover in Amsterdam, I flew to Nairobi and slept off and arrived feeling pretty good. I went to bed and had one extra day in Nairobi before joining the tour. On the way home, I slept almost the whole way from Nairobi to Amsterdam and then Amsterdam to Montreal. But I guess I am just lucky....I can sleep anywhere!

manhattan, New york...
4. Re: traveling and jetlag

thanks, Moiraine8

Your flying style does make it sound painless....I also can sleep just about anywhere ...I'll have to remember to stay away from all the coffee.

5. Re: traveling and jetlag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 21, 2009