We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday flying into Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perigueux, France
reviews: 38
Holiday flying into Nairobi

We are trying to put together our own trip rather than relying on tour companies because we think it will be cheaper. However, we have no idea of the distances or ease of transfer if we fly into Nairobi but want to stay at Mombasa Beach and from there take a safari tour. Would it be just as easy to stay on the beach in/near Nairobi - all we want is a comfortable hotel with a pool, on the beach as the most most important bit of the holiday will be the safari - anyone got any good recommendations for a safari tour operator, bookable from the UK for 5 day trip - say to Masai Mara? Thanks

Near London
reviews: 54
1. Re: Holiday flying into Nairobi

Fitz,

Nairobi is a looooooooooooooong way inland (9 hours by coach, 14 hours by train) so if you wanna beach holiday i suggest you fly to Mombasa or fly down to mombasa (1 hour by plane). There are loads of safari companies depends what you want to do. You can do safaris from Mombasa to Tsavo but if you want Masai Mara then perhapss Nairobi would be better

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Holiday flying into Nairobi

Nairobi is about 45mins flight from nairobi, if you want to do a beach and a safari and you are flying into nairobi, you best be is to book hotels with the serena group. i.e. nairobi serena, masai mara serena and serena beach in mombassa. deal with bunson travel who are a local travel agent.........

but....you may be better doing it all before you go......even kuoni do all this (nairobi, masai mara, and mombassa with serena) through their brouchure, i fly direct their quite often and have family there so dont need a hotel, but with accomodation included in their price, the flight work out ok with kuoni i have to say

United Kingdom
reviews: 22
3. Re: Holiday flying into Nairobi

Bruce596 stayed in all Serena's (I believe), he booked his own flights and they did the rest, although his safari was a lot longer than 5 days and several locations, they sorted it out for him. He put the contact name and email on here a while ago of the 'Serena man' who does it.

Have you read his trip reports? Might give you an idea of what's feasible from Nairobi.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
4. Re: Holiday flying into Nairobi

Fitz

Can I suggest that for doing your own trip, you need a map of Kenya?

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
5. Re: Holiday flying into Nairobi

From Nairobi, it's a 6 hour or so drive or 45 minute flight to the Masai Mara. Contact a few Nairobi based tour operators for the cost of a 5 day safari. I've used Eastern & Southern Safaris and have been very happy with their services. I've also heard good feedback about Gamewatchers Safaris.

Some camps and lodges in the Mara will take direct bookings and arrange your flight as well.

From the Mara, you can either drive back to Nairobi and fly to Mombasa or fly directly to Mombasa (about 2 hour flight).

When are you going? If during migration season, roughly late July to October, you should secure your accomodations in the Mara early.

6. Re: Holiday flying into Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, August 27, 2009