We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer between Kenyatta & WIlson Airports

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hong kong
reviews: 42
Transfer between Kenyatta & WIlson Airports

I am planing a safari in the Masai mara, but the flight gets into Kenyatta airport at 4am in the morning, and I need to pick up the air transfer to the safari camp from Wilson airport. Can't seem to find any information on transfers between these 2 airports,let alone at this early hour. Can anyone help?

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
1. Re: Transfer between Kenyatta & WIlson Airports

You just need a reliable taxi. However, are you taking all your luggage with you on Safari or are you leaving some in Nairobi? The planes from Wilson are small and mostly seem to have a luggage limit of 10kg. I hope someone else can help further.

London
2. Re: Transfer between Kenyatta & WIlson Airports

What time is your flight from wilson to mara? Have you already booked it?

I know Air Kenya first flight is at 10.am and weight limit is 15 kilos per person,

You have two choices...either pick up a taxi outside kenyetta to go to wilson, but to be honest I would be a little concerned about doing this at 4 am in the morning

2ndly you can contact an agent to arrange for a car and driver to be waiting for you at Kenyetta airport to take you to wilson

there is a restaurant in the grounds of wilson but it doesn't open until around 7/ 7.30 am. depending on the time of your flight u might be as well taking a 'day room' at a hotel near the airport where you could take a shower and have breakfast.

the cost of a transfer one way is in the region of 25 dollars person (miniumum of 2 people)

if you want the information of who I used then feel free to e mail me on wwbluequarters.co.uk

London
3. Re: Transfer between Kenyatta & WIlson Airports

sorry that should have read

wwbluequarters@yahoo.co.uk

hong kong
reviews: 42
4. Re: Transfer between Kenyatta & WIlson Airports

Thankyou for the info. I am still in the planning stage of doing Egypt & Safari together. Basically I'm thinking of flying into Nairobi from Cairo, and the only arrival time is 4:15am. I've checked with the camps, and their scheduled pick up is 10am. I guess Wilson airport is going to be practically deserted at 6am? I am worried about safety, though my husband will be around too, but I can't imagine how safe we can be in a strange place especially if there are lots of touts around to offer us stuff. ( It was like that when we were in Johannesberg airport). Perhaps we can hang around an airport lounge in Kenyatta until 7-8am and then take a taxi to Wilson?I don't know if any airport lounge will be open at that hour though? What do you think? As for luggage, my heaviest stuff will be camera , lens and tripod,so hoepfully 10kg can do it.

Boston...
reviews: 85
5. Re: Transfer between Kenyatta & WIlson Airports

Hi There,

I would suggest that you arrange an airport pick-up and transfer. The idea being that someone meet you at the airport in a van, (by the time you get through customs and baggage claim it will be about 500 AM, the driver can then take you to a place for breakfast. I would suggest The Fairview see ( http://www.fairviewkenya.com/index.htm ), they have a great breakfast buffet and it opens at 600 AM this is about the time you would get there from the airport. Additionally you can store luggage at The Fairview if you need to for your flight to the Mara. Your driver would wait for you, when you were ready to be taken to Wilson (I would suggest an 830 AM departure from Fairview) he would take you there. The Fairview is about 10 minutes away but I am allowing more time as morning traffic is horrible in Nairobi on weekdays.

The above would allow you plenty of comfort, safety, and the ability to store baggage if you need to. If you are planning on spending any nights in Nairobi I would also recommend that you stay at the Fairview over any other NBO hotels.

A reliable company to arrange the above for you would be Outdoor Expedition Safaris see ( www.outdoorexpeditionsafaris.com ) they are based in NBO and very reliable. I have used their services for 15 years now. Their normal airport transfer fee is about $35, however if you wanted to have the driver do the things outlined above the charge would probably be in the $55 to $80 range for up to 4 persons.

Another reliable company in NBO for organizing a car and driver is Market Car Hire ( phone Market Car Hire 225797) but you would have to call them directly as I do not believe they have a website, they also would probably charge you a day rental rate for the car / driver (about $100).

Good luck, Also the Wilson airport is pretty low key, you do not have to worry much about "touts" you just do not want to be hanging out anywhere at 500 AM with all you luggage.

6. Re: Transfer between Kenyatta & WIlson Airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 21, 2009