We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby Car Seats!

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Baby Car Seats!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

No hire car company in Nairobi will hire me baby seats without the car. We are doing work with Samburu Girls Foundation and bringing our babies with us but using their vehicles. I really really need to figure out how to get hold of baby car seats in Nairobi.

7 replies to this topic
nyc
1. Re: Baby Car Seats!

Hi Sarah -

Emailed to a friend in NBO who has a few seats, but needs to know age/weight - and might just have one to loan you for your short stay. This way you can converse direct.

Why not drop me a PM here thru TA with the details or email me at - sandijspin at aol dot com - and include Ref: Baby Car Seats (otherwise I might delete)

4sandi

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
2. Re: Baby Car Seats!

You can buy them at supermarkets, such as Nakumatt, but they are expensive, as they are imported - we paid about Ksh 30 000 about six and a half years ago. Unfortunately we no longer have the car seat.

If 4sandi can't help, take it with you if you possibly can and (unless you were not taking it) don't bother with a buggy - they are not a lot of use in Kenya.

nyc
3. Re: Baby Car Seats!

On my first safari 19/yrs ago I couldn't at first imagine why no one had a baby stroller (buggy) until I realized the condition of the roads... there was no way.

Am sure the local Samburu women will show the the OP how to swaddle that baby on her back and wonder why we in the West don't do likewise.

That's also when I figured out why it's rare to hear an African baby cry... cause mama or big sister is right there. What we can learn!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
4. Re: Baby Car Seats!

Why don't you take your own car seat/s with you? That way you know they'll be familar for your babies. That's what we always did in the baby days. Airlines are very helpful and you can usually check them in at the gate.

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Baby Car Seats!

Agree 4sandi. My wife doesn't understand the need for buggys, those bouncy seats and all the other things that western parents 'need' to bring up a baby. She maintains that all you need is a leso (cloth) to make into a sling, then put baby on your back, leaving baby very content and mum free to get on with stuff, knowing exactly where baby is. Sometimes simpler is better.

nyc
6. Re: Baby Car Seats!

Apparently the car seat OP had was simply too big and for a rental from Avis... well, you could rent a car for 3/weeks in the States, their price was that of a thief. A friend of mine was willing to assist as she's got a few for her little ones that have grown by the years, but seems OP has worked out something. I just reminded OP that they've got precious cargo on board and to take it easy on the roads.

Simple is better, absolutely... and though I have had a few friends who when their little ones weighed under 20/lbs, did just that with a sling and I still encourage new moms to do so and surprisingly many do so! . But once the kid exceeds that weight, and depending on where one lives... for a walking community as a large city, strollers are most efficient; but if in a driving community, it's got to be a vehicle/car seats. You work with the environment you live in.

Nairobi, Nairobi...
7. Re: Baby Car Seats!

Hi, we rent out car seats for infants. www.babymama.co.ke. you can call or whatsapp at 0725 983434. we have brands such as bebe confort, safety 1st. global brands.

Thanks

Ruchir

Reply to: Baby Car Seats!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted