We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road condition from Nairobi to Mombasa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 4
Road condition from Nairobi to Mombasa

I've read where it is recommended to drive during the day only, and as of five years ago, the road conditions were such that visitors were advised NOT to attempt the drive. But that was five years ago. Is the road condition much improved so that driving is not an unbelievable hazard? Is a 2WD salon acceptable for the drive. I read it is a beautiful drive. Thanks all.

4 replies to this topic
Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
1. Re: Road condition from Nairobi to Mombasa

I last drove from Nairobi to Mombasa in 2011 and it was absolutely doable in a 2wd saloon and at that time they hadn't quite completed the road.

Personally I would not attempt the drive at night, due to the standards of driving, poorly/unlit vehicles, possible broken down vehicles in the road, etc.

Even in the daytime, there are a lot of slow moving trucks on the route, so risky overtaking is common and you have to keep very alert.

uk
reviews: 1
2. Re: Road condition from Nairobi to Mombasa

yes it is doable

from nrbi to voi the road is in good condition

from voi to mombasa its not as good . pot holes uneven surface

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: Road condition from Nairobi to Mombasa

Very good road with exception of a few kms from MBA Mainland.

If you're driving on Kenya Road for 1st time, it's NOT recommended to drive yourself !!

There are plenty of reckless drivers on NBO-MBA highway & highway has claimed plenty of lives.

Take the Modern Coast Oxygen Bus if you can.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
4. Re: Road condition from Nairobi to Mombasa

I personally would not drive that road. For 400 odd kilometres you need to allow at least 8 hours, and it is frustrating with all the slow trucks and public transport vehicles driving recklessly.

Reply to: Road condition from Nairobi to Mombasa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted