We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 5 nights in nairobi including trip to masai mara

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Planning 5 nights in nairobi including trip to masai mara

Dear Friends

I wonder if you could help me. I am trying to see if the following is possible with a short trip to Nairobi with my wife. I would like to fly into Nairobi and after one night in a hotel, take a safari to Masai Mara (3 days, 2 nights) and then return to Nairobi for two nights before flying home.

I'm thinking of booking nights at the Sankara before and after the safari, and then trying to book the safari through Kenya Incentive Tours and Safaris who have excellent reviews on TA. Can anyone tell me roughly (just a ballpark figure) how much I should be expecting to pay for a 3 days 2 night safari to Masai Mara? Is it sensible (and safe) for me to book these separately by myself and simply take taxis from the airport to the hotel? (Forgive me for the silly question but I have never been to Kenya before so am unsure of how safe it is). Is a five night trip going to give me enough time to enjoy it without too much of a rush (i.e. one night in nairobi on arrival, two nights on safari and two nights before departure?)

Any tips greatly appreciated - expected costs/trustworthy companies/things to think about.

Many thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
1. Re: Planning 5 nights in nairobi including trip to masai mara

It's really a bit like asking how much is a holiday in France, or how much does a weekend in London cost.

It mostly depends where you stay. Camps and lodges in the Mara range from less than £50 per person per night (plus extra for drinks, activities and park fees) to more than £500pppn, with the latter including everything, including drinks, activities and park fees. There' s also a good deal of seasonal variation and some good offers around at the moment

Return flights from Nairobi to the Mara cost around £150– £200, depending on season.

If you're well travelled and use your head, Nairobi is reasonably safe – though it's not really a city for lazy strolls, more a place to get things done and go from a to b. Having said that, it's a very underrated city, and there are calm spots in the urban sprawl - like Nairobi National Park itself (117 square kilometres of bush and savannah), Karura Forest, and all the little hideaways from galleries to crafts centres in the leafy suburbs of Karen and Langata.

Booking yourself won't save you any money over using a good tour operator or agent, who won't charge more than the cost of booking direct - and often less, since they get good discounts.

As for the time, it's not unheard of for people to visit Kenya for a few days, but it's a long way to go for such a brief reward. If you could make it 7 or 8 day you'd get a lot more out of it.

I hope that helps as a start - I'm sure others will have other ideas.

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 27
2. Re: Planning 5 nights in nairobi including trip to masai mara

I have just returned from 5 days in Nairobi and 3 days in the Masai mara. We paid 1700 euros for two nights , three days in the Sarova mara lodge .We were picked up in our hotel in Nairobi and taken to the airport at the end of the safari. For two people everything included.. We got cheaper quotes joining other gropus from the hotel for the game drives. In our case we had a car an a driver just for the two of us.

Everybody told us to take a taxi to go out at night in Nairobi and that is what we did. It gets dark from six thirty.

Edited: 6:41 pm, June 25, 2014
3. Re: Planning 5 nights in nairobi including trip to masai mara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, June 26, 2014
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
4. Re: Planning 5 nights in nairobi including trip to masai mara

safaris m,

please read the forum guidelines for businesses, no self-promotion or soliciting

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 11
5. Re: Planning 5 nights in nairobi including trip to masai mara

David - it's very important to note that Nissan 14 Seater Mini Vans are commonly used for safaris.

Fewer the people in the group, "higher" the cost the safari.

Pity, but TO's have to recoup their costs running a half filled van.

I'm sure Kenya Incentive Tours and Safaris will quote different rates for a couple & group of people.

6. Re: Planning 5 nights in nairobi including trip to masai mara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 28, 2015