We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long stay in Nairobi airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 15
Long stay in Nairobi airport

My friend and I are traveling from Kisumu through Nairobi and then onwards to 2 different locations (London and Zurich) and have a 6 hour and an 11 hour stop over, respectively. We are reluctant to leave the airport because we would prefer to wait together but understand that the airport has not really been rebuilt yet since the fire. Is there anywhere comfortable we can sit or are there any lounges that have reopened? I guess what I'm asking is how awful is this going to be?

17 replies to this topic
nyc
11. Re: Long stay in Nairobi airport

valerie - if arriving JKIA at 12:30pm, and thouugh Africa Point wishes to collect you for visit to Giraffe Center and Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, be aware that the Orphanage is only open to the public between 11am-12N, so you won't be able to visit here. However, if you choose to adopt a baby elephant direct thru the Orphanage ($50 annual fee, see their site), you can as a foster parent visit between 5-6pm when the little ones return from the fields. Then arrange to stop somewhere for dinner and return to airport for onward flight.

As you won't be able to visit the Orphanage during the earlier hours, you can still visit Karen Blixen House, Giraffe Center, Kazuri Beads, Utamaduni Crafts (here a lovely outdoor cafe at reasonable prices), Matt Bronze, and other shopping/souvenir options; maybe even the Museum.

Toronto, Canada
12. Re: Long stay in Nairobi airport

Thank you, we're actually thinking that this is what we will do. How long do you think it will take to get to the hotel from the airport? (or more importantly, get BACK to the airport)

nyc
13. Re: Long stay in Nairobi airport

The 3/hotels closest to JKIA - Ol Sereni, Panari or EKA - are about a 15/min drive to/from the airport.

NJ
reviews: 23
14. Re: Long stay in Nairobi airport

I have just returned from Nairobi where I spent about 5 hours layover at the Ole Sereni Hotel. It was a beautiful and comfortable place to hang out with several restaurants and bars as well as comfy couches and clean bathrooms. They even had a large screen set up in the pool area where dozens of people could sit and watch the World Cup. We were clearly not the only people spending our layover there as we saw a good 20+ flight crew from various airlines too. There is great security at the hotel and we felt completely safe, in addition to having a lovely view of the park.

It was recommended that we leave the hotel at 8:30pm for our 11:30pm flight and that was more than enough time. Hope this is helpful.

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 143
15. Re: Long stay in Nairobi airport

For your 11 hour layover, head for Wilson airport & spend the time at the Aero Club of East Africa. They have a lovely restaurant, gardens & a pool. It's only a further 10 minutes journey after the Ole Sereni, which I can also recommend.

Toronto, Canada
16. Re: Long stay in Nairobi airport

Thanks everyone for your advice. We went to the Ole Sereni for lunch and it was lovely and relaxing, and the food was good. Traffic was a bit hectic coming back but it still only took about 20 minutes. Much better than spending all day in the airport.

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 143
17. Re: Long stay in Nairobi airport

Welcome home! Glad that the Ole Sereni lived up to expectations.

Reply to: Long stay in Nairobi airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted