We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey, USA
reviews: 1
Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.

My Husband and I will be traveling to Nairobi in mid July and were suppose to be there for two nights.

Considering going straight from Nairobi airport (arrive around 6:30 in the morning) to Arusha, Tanzania by shuttle or bus instead of staying two nights in Nairobi like originally planned. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this idea? Any reliable companies to consider using for transportation such as this? Still up in the air about doing this but the news doesn't make feel any better =-/ So sad.

Edited: 7:13 pm, June 16, 2014
6 replies to this topic
Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
reviews: 7
1. Re: Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.

Riverside Shuttle has morning shuttles from Nairobi to Arusha and they pass Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Here is their rather densely packed website:

http://www.riversideshuttle.com

Also look at this:

http://www.nairobiairporttransfers.com

New Jersey, USA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.

Awesome thanks for the tip and info!

Nairobi, Kenya
3. Re: Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.

Well thank you this sound great. For your information, if you are planning to leave for Arusha from J.K.I Airport, possible, if you will make it to get at the arrival lounge by the time indicated 0630hrs morning. The tourists shuttles to Arusha leave either at 0800hrs or 2:00pm afternoon. these are the Riverside and Rainbow shuttle. that takes 25 people one way. The best way to do this is by taking the taxi direct upon arrival at Airport to Nairobi town at the shuttle stop, where you will find other travelers and mostly tourists ready to leave. from airport to Nairobi town 30 minutes maximum drive.taxi will cost you like US$20 for 2 people to town. Please nite that this might not be possible also, because to my understanding nowadays flights are getting very late and actually causing some inconvenient on time factor. If this will happen, and get to airport by maybe 7-8:00am, other ways are you connect the 14 seater Nissan to the Namanga Boader of which they take s 2/ half hours from Nairobi. after you get to Namanga spend like 30 minutes for formalities and immigrations before boarding Tanzania PS.V To Arusha for another 2 hours drive. Kenyan side you will pay like USD7 per person to Namanga Boarder. and from Namanga to Arusha US$5 per person. These public service Vehicles leave all the time. Another Option, if you feel to make use of the Shuttle bus, and you are late by the morning bus that leave at 8:00am, can spend the whole morning doing the Nairobi Excursions just visiting the Sheldrick Baby elephant and the Giraffe center, these are on the save place, outside Nairobi town and not far from Airport, You can use the taxi for this or one contact a travel company to arrange for this.To me i prefer to chose the company because will be given the guide whom knows the ares very well, and will take care of you without any worry. This is not expensive as you need to pay like USD50 each pick up from Airport to the Baby elephant +Giraffe center, pay entrance fee,Transport, Driver allowances and drop to Town by 1:00 to check and wait in the Shuttle to leave at 2:00pm. contact ANCIENT WILD SAFARIS, if you need this help, or call me direct to arrange you for this. Always based at Nairobi Kenya. +254 712 005 546.

Glasgow, United...
4. Re: Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.

i did the opposite journey (Moshi to Nairobi) just last month in May, see my recent feedbacks for info,

at namanga border expect atleast 1 hour delay, because of several buses arriving at the same time and because you have to go through office no1 and then walk on earth road to office no2, and have to be careful because of uneven earth road, at visa office its more confusion regarding which queue you should be following, but it will get sorted and some passengers will always be too slow to complete this clearance because in my case the impala shuttle driver did not organize our passage at namanga and just left us to find the offices ourselves,

i paid TSH 30K or KES 1600 was also acceptable for one way trip, i think the fare in USD was even more higher, so keep spare KES for both ways and it will be the cheapest out of all 3 currencies for this shuttle journey,

i think just before the namanga border will be your lunch break or stop for refreshments, and its a nice place, they accept both KES and TSH to purchase food or drinks at this stop,

7 hours after leaving arusha i was passing ol sereni and belle view in nairobi, this is on mombasa road, so the delay at namanga border will add extra duration on your journey, which normally takes around 6 hours from nbo-arusha.

some nice view of hills on the section of the highway near namanga but otherwise its mostly leveled plains to see.

have yellow fever card ready because they did ask for mine, you just hold it out in your hand and thats it, sometimes they just want to see the brown card in your hand thats all,

have TZ visa form ready as well.

Argentina
5. Re: Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.

Hello! i travell from nairobi to arusha with private car, it´s the most comfortable and save way to travel.

It´s not to cheap, BUT, we arrange with the driver that first he take us to Elephants orphanage and the Giraffe centre, then we take the road to arusha, just BEAUTIFUL, the driver help you to make the Visa processed.

and we spend one night at the Hilton Nairobi, the driver get discount.

Driver´s name: Jacob

phone number: 0716665763 or 0733898190

mail: jacobomondi2001@yahoo.com

You can send him a mail and arrange a price. And the best of all it´s that you going to share your travell with a person who allways have a smile in his face, only the best memories of Jacob.

Edited: 1:05 pm, July 11, 2014
nyc
6. Re: Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.

Did you have activities planned for your stay in NBO? It's still safe to do these. The city is safe.

If you plan to take the Shuttle Bus, while it's cheap, but a 5/hr drive, where as since you did drive thru Kenya will require a Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry to Tanzania. At the border you can purchase the TNZ Visa.

Alternative, and about 1/hr shorter trip would be a private vehicle transfer at price of between $300-400 one way; and, of course, a flight from JKIA/NBO into Kilimanjaro/JRO at Tanzania which is about 1/hr east of Arusha. Flight would be more expensive but time is barely 1/hr.

Reply to: Shuttle/Bus/Car- Nairobi to Arusha due to terrorist threats.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted