We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ease of Nairobi Airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Ease of Nairobi Airport

Hello, I am travelling to Nairobi airport arriving early Tuesday morning. Does anyone know what the procedure is for getting a connecting flight to Tanzania? Do you collect your bag and check back in or is there a separate path for connecting flights? Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
1. Re: Ease of Nairobi Airport

Since the fire last year all arriving flights are met by buses on the tarmac. There are separate buses for passengers whose final destination is Kenya and those who are transiting to connecting international flights. You will be in transit so will be taken to the Departures area by the Transit bus, rather than the Arrivals Hall.

When you check in for your flight to Nairobi, make sure they tag your bags for your final destination in Tanzania, they will then be automatically transferred to your connecting flight.

If for some reason they cannot do this you will have to ask the transit staff to help you locate your bags and arrange for them to be loaded on the Tanzania flight.

London
2. Re: Ease of Nairobi Airport

Thank you very much, this is very helpful :)

Michigan
reviews: 54
3. Re: Ease of Nairobi Airport

Also note, when I arrived in March to get from the plane to the ground to meet the buses, we all had to carry our carry on bags down a steep set of steps, there was no jetway - from a 747. I thought maybe it had to do with the building being used since the fire for the arrivals. However, when I was flying out of Nairobi (my flights were Delta/KLM) the departure building was the same as before. And we were boarding a 747. Again, they provided no jetway. We departed the gate door, walked down a steep flight of steps (some mothers carting kids and strollers), walked across the tarmac, and then up a steep set of steps to board the 747, all the while carrying all our carry ons. I can understand what happened with the arrival, but I can't understand with the departure as it was the same building I've always been to. It wasn't pleasant when carry photo gear.

London
4. Re: Ease of Nairobi Airport

Ah ok thank you very much that is again very helpful. What did you think of the airport on whole?

Michigan
reviews: 54
5. Re: Ease of Nairobi Airport

It's not a particularly great place as it is usually warm and there is not a lot there available - just a few shops and a coffee shop. They do now have more seating than they used to which is good. One of the biggest challenges, especially when you travel solo like I have, is you have your carry on luggage and if you want to go to the restroom (in the main hallway), the stalls are quite small so it is difficult to get your bag in there. And with the security issues, I don't like to ask someone to watch mine. Once you go into to the gate areas (which for the larger planes, they seem to like you in there at least 1 hour prior to the flight), there are no restrooms. And they won't let you carry a beverage into the area, even if you bought it in the airport. Each gate has it's own screening area that you have to pass through. On the large planes, this area can get really crowded. But since you are supposed to be there 3 hours ahead of an international flight which I adhere to, it is what it is. I do make sure that I carry some light snacks with me and have some type of meal before arriving at the airport. When you are departing from the airport, your driver/guide is only allowed to bring you to the door, but they can't come in any longer. So this means that you have to get your luggage up on to the screening belt and pass through before you can get to the check in counter. They do have carts though to assist.

Laurena

London
6. Re: Ease of Nairobi Airport

Thank you very much Laurena, that's great advice and helpful :)

London
reviews: 27
7. Re: Ease of Nairobi Airport

In the past I have had a problem with bags not coming through on time

To be on the safe side - pack a change in your hand luggage. also if you are travelling with a companion - I suggest sharing out your gear - so if one bag goes missing for a while you still have some of your stuff

Take a photograph of your bags i if they go missing you can show them to the airline staff. Also make sure you label them properly perhaps including the name and phone number of a local tour operator if you are using one.

Have a great trip

Reply to: Ease of Nairobi Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted