We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

Does anybody travel from Munich to Nairobi and would be willing to take along a small parcel? The parcel is open and contains a used mobile phone with its accessories.

The recipient, a bright and beautiful young lady, would meet you, perhaps directly after arrival at the airport, and collect the parcel.

If I can, I would try to compensate you for the service in whichever way you like and assist with all kinds of first-rate information for Kenya.

9 replies to this topic
London, United...
1. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

Best to send using DHL Hans, pretty expensive but at least you know it will reach the recipient.

Munich, Germany
2. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

I don't trust DHL. They steal even in Germany. (Has happened to me and has been published by others.)

I am also looking for a cheaper way.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
3. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

and then you have to pay duty in Kenya. If using a courier - send the money and buy the phone in Kenya. Much cheaper.

Munich, Germany
4. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

Now that is wrong on all counts.

First, you do not pay duty in Kenya when you arrive and carry a used mobile phone (particularly not when you are a tourist).

Second, sending money by courier is a questionable proposition. It definitely has its own costs.

Third, even if I did successfully send money, buying a good smartphone in Kenya is outrageously expensive, and the one I'm trying to send is not available in Kenya at all.

I know that there are no good alternatives to what I am trying to do. If there were any, I would most likely know them and would have used them already.

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

'First, you do not pay duty in Kenya when you arrive and carry a used mobile phone (particularly not when you are a tourist)'

You might if they find out that you have it and suspect that you have brought it for someone (ie you have more than one phone, perhaps). There is a duty free allowance of $500 worth of goods that can remain in Kenya. The value of a high end smartphone, even if used, can eat up most of that allowance. Tourists can and do get charged duty, as might be the case anywhere else. However, what Roadwarrior meant was that if you send the phone by courier, then duty would definitely be payable.

You can money via Western Union - there is no courier involved. Certainly in the UK it is possible to transfer money almost instantly to an M Pesa account in Kenya. Its very secure.

On the whole the smartphones that I have seen on sale, in Kenya compare very favourably with UK prices and are often quite a bit cheaper. You have not said what make of phone you intend to send, but very few smartphones are unavailable in Kenya. The main problem with sending an unknown brand is that it cannot be repaired, if something happens - screen breaks, for example.

From my own experience, it would be better to reconsider and send a make that is available there, such as Samsung, Nokia, HTC, or i Phone.

Edited: 2:36 pm, June 14, 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
6. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

Sorry Hans, I think you misunderstood me.

You would pay duty on a phone, if sent by courier, and not brought in person.

Also when I said 'send money', I meant by electronic means such as Western Union, and not courier.

True, smart phones in Kenya are expensive. Good luck if you can find someone who can assist you to bring the phone to Kenya.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
7. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

No offence intended, but I think people are wary of carrying things for others these days.

Munich, Germany
8. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

Yes, that could be a problem, but as I had already written, this is just a mobile phone in an open package. I cannot imagine how that could be a problem.

The traveller could tell the departure security check that it is not his, so it would undergo a more thorough check.

I just hope that our societies are not burdened with pervasive mistrust. The degree of trust awarded to strangers is certainly an interesting discussion topic, particularly when comparing cultures, but so far I don't see this as a major problem in Germany. I would certainly do it, if somebody asked me. Consider also that mutual trust is required, as the traveller could just keep and thus steal the phone.

I think more likely my problem will be that I do not find anybody here who flies from Munich to Nairobi during the next couple of weeks.

Munich, Germany
9. Re: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi

Hi Hans,

Perhaps I can help you. Have send you a direct message.

Regards,

Martin

Edited: 5:56 pm, June 16, 2014
Reply to: Small parcel from Munich to Nairobi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted