We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi

Hi,

I am a 24 year old British female based in Arusha and want to go to Jinja in Uganda. Lots of old threads recommend Akamba buses which seem to have stopped. Flying is just too expensive.

There are two main companies I've spoken to here in Arusha, Kampala and Spider coaches. Both seem to leave Arusha in the afternoon and have an overnight stop in Nairobi. It appears they get to Nairobi around 9pm and stop, leaving again at 5am.

Has anyone does this trip before? I'm concerned about what happens over night. Do you stay on the bus? Do they change buses and leave you to fend for yourself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
reviews: 7
1. Re: Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi

Easy Coach lists one overnight bus to Kampala, leaving from Nairobi. Unless their website is out of date (always a possibility in Kenya), it looks like they have been certified by the government to operate at night. I'm not there to confirm it myself and it would be best for you to phone or sms them. (All night buses were banned last Christmas but the door was left open for them to resume if they were safety certified.)

From what you report, it seems Kampala and Spider buses haven't been certified yet. Since you're online, check the schedule of Easy Coach and see if you can arrange to get off in Nairobi and connect with one of these night buses.

www.easycoach.co.ke/nairobi-to-upcountry.html

I quickly checked the sites of some of the other big bus companies in Nairobi such as Modern Coast and Mash, but I only saw daytime trips to Kampala.

Yes, Akamba is long gone.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
2. Re: Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi

I should have added that for the Arusha to Nairobi leg, you have the option of taking one of the 27-seat Toyota shuttles such as Riverside or East Africa Shuttles. They are comfortable and air conditioned and I think they cost US$25.

3. Re: Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi

Hi Christopher,

Thanks so much for those tips, I'm just checking out the easycoach website now. Is it a pretty reliable company? I'll send a text to them.

I was told a few months ago that I could get a bus very early morning here in Arusha and arrive in Jinja, Uganda about 14 hours later in the evening. It's a shame that's not still a possiblity because I'd just like to do the whole journey in the day time and avoid any overnight travel or overnight stops on the bus.

if I do end up having to stay in Nairobi for one night to swap buses, would you recommend any safe areas nearby the bus station?

Asante,

Emma

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
4. Re: Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi

Emma, there are a rash of budget hotels in the area around Accra Rd. which is where the buses terminate. I always try the Destiny Hotel first. It is safe and only 850 shillings for a single but because it is such good value it often fills up. It is on Duruma Rd. The other one I can vouch for is the Africana nearby. It is 1,300 with breakfast I think.

It would help us all here if you could let us know which buses (if any) are actually running upcountry at night.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
5. Re: Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi

Just announced that seven bus companies are now licensed to operate at night in Kenya, including several going to Kampala:

…nation.co.ke/news/…index.html

6. Re: Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi

Thanks Christopher for your response. I am now travelling with Spider coaches on a straight coach through to Uganda (with an overnight stop in Nairobi between 10pm-5am).

Reply to: Bus from Arusha to Uganda- will it stop overnight in Nairobi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted