We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
reviews: 55
Dinner in Nairobi

Haandi Restaurant in Nairobi is still as good as ever!

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

Thanks! I can't wait to hear more about the rest of your trip including the gorilla trekking. Will you be posting a report?

Northern California
2. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

I was not planning to post a report. I have posted some specific things. Anything you would like me to post about??

Carmel, California
3. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

Where in Kenya did you go? How many treks did you do in Rwanda? Which groups? Thanks!

Carmel, California
4. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

A few more questions... which tour operator did you use in Kenya and Rwanda and how were they? Where did you stay? Did you need to purchase a second Kenyan visa when you re-entered from Rwanda or did they allow you re-entry on your original one? By the time you finish answering my questions, you'll almost have a full report ;-)

Northern California
5. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

Patty C -- I recall the visa issue coming up last Spring. The answer is that re-entering Nairobi from Uganda or Tanzania (former members of the East African Union with Kenya), one need not buy a visa; but coming back into the country from Rwanda, it was necessary to buy another visa.

As to arrangements-- this was our second trip. The first was in 2004 at the height of the migration in the Mara. This time was more directed to a visit to Amboseli via Isinya--long story--but this was largely to support a small non-profit that is comprised of 2 coops of Massai women who do/sell bead jewelry to raise school fees for their daughters. Our arrangements are made by a small Colorado company, Deeper Africa, and in-country, with Africa Expeditions, which I believe has fairly recently changed its name.

Our Rwanda in-country outfitter was Primate Safaris. I have posted some comments on the Rwanda forum about the difficulties with cash and credit cards in Rwanda.

We had reservations at the Novotel in Kigali after 3 nights at the Gorilla Nest. I wanted a hotel with air conditioning, not because it was particularly hot, but because I wanted to get all our stuff dry (the humidity in the mountains is extraordinary). So at the last minute, I changed to the Inter-Continental because it has air conditioning and the Novotel does not. I posted a hotel review.

As to Nairobi, everyone loves the Fairview. In 4 stays there, they cannot manage to get my room/beds requirement right (I don't sleep in the same bed as my teenage daughter--the snorer, teeth grinder and thrasher-from-hell) and then were a pain about. I refused to stay there a 5th time and wound up at the last minute in a fairly crumby room in the un-remodeled portion of the old Mayflower (?) now a Holiday Inn.

6. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 18, 2009