We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
771 posts
57 reviews
Dinner in Nairobi

Haandi Restaurant in Nairobi is still as good as ever!

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

Thanks! I can't wait to hear more about the rest of your trip including the gorilla trekking. Will you be posting a report?

Northern California
Level Contributor
771 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

I was not planning to post a report. I have posted some specific things. Anything you would like me to post about??

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

Where in Kenya did you go? How many treks did you do in Rwanda? Which groups? Thanks!

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

A few more questions... which tour operator did you use in Kenya and Rwanda and how were they? Where did you stay? Did you need to purchase a second Kenyan visa when you re-entered from Rwanda or did they allow you re-entry on your original one? By the time you finish answering my questions, you'll almost have a full report ;-)

Northern California
Level Contributor
771 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

Patty C -- I recall the visa issue coming up last Spring. The answer is that re-entering Nairobi from Uganda or Tanzania (former members of the East African Union with Kenya), one need not buy a visa; but coming back into the country from Rwanda, it was necessary to buy another visa.

As to arrangements-- this was our second trip. The first was in 2004 at the height of the migration in the Mara. This time was more directed to a visit to Amboseli via Isinya--long story--but this was largely to support a small non-profit that is comprised of 2 coops of Massai women who do/sell bead jewelry to raise school fees for their daughters. Our arrangements are made by a small Colorado company, Deeper Africa, and in-country, with Africa Expeditions, which I believe has fairly recently changed its name.

Our Rwanda in-country outfitter was Primate Safaris. I have posted some comments on the Rwanda forum about the difficulties with cash and credit cards in Rwanda.

We had reservations at the Novotel in Kigali after 3 nights at the Gorilla Nest. I wanted a hotel with air conditioning, not because it was particularly hot, but because I wanted to get all our stuff dry (the humidity in the mountains is extraordinary). So at the last minute, I changed to the Inter-Continental because it has air conditioning and the Novotel does not. I posted a hotel review.

As to Nairobi, everyone loves the Fairview. In 4 stays there, they cannot manage to get my room/beds requirement right (I don't sleep in the same bed as my teenage daughter--the snorer, teeth grinder and thrasher-from-hell) and then were a pain about. I refused to stay there a 5th time and wound up at the last minute in a fairly crumby room in the un-remodeled portion of the old Mayflower (?) now a Holiday Inn.

6. Re: Dinner in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 18, 2009