We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending time in Kenyatta airport / Buying SIM card

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamburg, Germany
Spending time in Kenyatta airport / Buying SIM card

Hi,

I will be arriving at Kenyatta airport at 2.30 in the morning.

My hotel will charge me for an extra day, if I check in before 6am.

I need to buy a visa on arrival - how long will it take to collect luggage and pass customs and immigrations and get a visa?

Is it easy and safe to stay in the public area for an hour or two?

I want to buy a SIM card (phone and internet - any suggestions? - is paperwork like passport copy needed?) and I figure that putting in the card in my phone and getting familiar with it will take half an hour anyway.

My hotel is probably half an hour away too.

15 replies to this topic
Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
reviews: 7
11. Re: Spending time in Kenyatta airport / Buying SIM card

Doff, check here:

www.orange.co.ke/complex/index.php…

Orange's monthly "unlimited" package for mobile phones is 990/- if you click the "new offer" tab. But it seems the speed drops to dial-up after 2GB.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
12. Re: Spending time in Kenyatta airport / Buying SIM card

In that case Christopher it seems you are not comparing like with like, that Orange bundle seems to be a new one aimed at light internet users using their phone only to access. Maybe it's tied in to the offers they are making to promote the extension of 3G to Nakuru and is to entice new users.

Whatever the reason, it seems that Orange now offer two sets of unlimited bundles, the new one in your link and the one I've been using for over two years and am using right now, the 2990/- (20Gb) bundle.

It seems Airtel only differentiate between phone or dongle for light users in data and sms bundles so the Airtel 3,499/- unlimited bundle would appear to be the equivalent of the Orange 2990/- bundle, which can be used on dongle or phone, and is documented here

www.orange.co.ke/complex/index.php…

Just for completeness here are the Airtel and Safaricom bundles

…airtel.com/wps/…

safaricom.co.ke/personal/…prepay-data-bundles

Although it does not say so on the page above, with Safaricom you get a bonus of 50% additional data to be used between 10pm and 8 am valid for two weeks after purchase.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
13. Re: Spending time in Kenyatta airport / Buying SIM card

Sorry, I made a slight mistake in the Safaricom bit above, the night time bonus can be used between 10pm and 10 am.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
reviews: 7
14. Re: Spending time in Kenyatta airport / Buying SIM card

I provided the link and can't really do more than that. Guy can get clarification on all the providers' latest data offers at the kiosk where he buys the SIM card. As mentioned above, the sellers are quite knowledgeable and helpful.

15. Re: Spending time in Kenyatta airport / Buying SIM card

Hello,

I'm glad to hear that one can still purchase a SIM card at the temporary arrivals area. Does anyone know whether or not I can purchase a cheap mobile phone there as well?

Reply to: Spending time in Kenyatta airport / Buying SIM card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted