We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karen a better option?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 4
Karen a better option?

Hi, I am visiting Kenya among two other EA countries in September of this year. In light of the recent terror threats, I was hoping people could suggest a relatively safe option for stay in Nairobi.

I will be staying in Nairobi for one night upon arrival lateish afternoon then on to Lake Nakuru the following day, Masai Mara, Amboseli etc from there. And then again another overnight stay in Nairobi between travel. My travel operator has us booked in to stay at the Sarova Stanley in the CBD but am wondering whether Karen or a similar suburb could be a better option, rather then right in the middle of the city which is closer to Eastleigh. Open to any suggestions on where to stay with good security. And roughly how long does it take from Jomo Kenyatta Airport to Karen if you don't mind me asking. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks !

5 replies to this topic
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Karen a better option?

Seems your arriving lat evening into Nairobi? If so traffic won't be a problem so you will reach CBD or Karen in 30 mins say.

CBD - If your staying one night i would not have any worries staying on town at all. As you hinting with the terror problems. As for Karen it is a leafy suburb with plenty ex-pats from Britian, USA, Europe etc living there.

I don;t see either, or, making any difference to you.

London
reviews: 23
2. Re: Karen a better option?

A great way to begin and end a safari is the Nairobi Tented Camp. See www.porini.com/kenya.html… in Nairobi National Park. You beat the traffic and no security fears.

I stayed there at the end of last year - see my review on tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Reno
reviews: 4
3. Re: Karen a better option?

We had similar concerns May 2014 and we booked with a safari company and felt very safe the entire time. Adventure Africa Expedition (DICKSON GACHANJA WAMBUGU) was amazing! Dickson took care of our every need, from finding us a good hotel the day before and after our safari to exchanging our money to picking you up at the airport to choosing food you prefer for the safari. He'll take care of you--you can practically design your own safari. All the staff is professional, polite and friendly. They are patient and speak good English. Zack was a great tour guide. He has an eagle eye and knows where the animals are likely to be. He'll listen to the radio for where animals currently are, then hurry to get there. Trust him if he says "let's go now!" It will be worth it! Other tourists with different tour companies complained that their guides stopped to smoke too much, didn't seem to know where animals were, or got stuck in the mud too much. Not with this company and Zack! They have a All Wheel drive which is essential! The food was good, though a bit redundant (beef stew most nights). The accommodations are simple but relatively clean for “camping”. We had a nice bed, sometimes had electricity, private bath, and few bugs! Amboseli is amazing. Mt. Kilimanjaro was beautiful and there are animals everywhere. Spend as much time as possible there. Lake Nakuru was good. Masai Mara was a long journey down a very bumpy road for a few hours. On the safari, we’d go long periods of time without seeing animals. Don’t bother with Masai Marra—spend extra days in Amboseli. This is a great company and a great safari at a very reasonable price. Do it!

nyc
4. Re: Karen a better option?

Many like the Fairview or their sister property the Country Lodge (sited on same grounds but a bit lower cost) though you have access to all Fairview facilities. It's safe being across from the Israeli Embassy where no one gets thru without an interview. Otherwise, many solo travelers like Macushla House in Karen where with only 6/rooms is charming. Both are well priced.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: Karen a better option?

Karen is a lovely upmarket leafy suburb to stay. It close to sightseeing spots like Giraffe Park, Kazuri Beads,etc,etc. There are also curio shops & shopping malls.

Reply to: Karen a better option?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted