We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info NEEDED!! Hospital bill in Nairobi? Who pays?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 30
Info NEEDED!! Hospital bill in Nairobi? Who pays?

Hi,

I have a child who I support financially to attend school in Nairobi. I have since heard that he has become sick with pneumonia. We are trying to find out who pays for hospital visits in Nairobi. Is it government funded, or private? This family lives in one of the slums, so they can not pay for any costs if required. How does the health system in Nairobi work in terms of funding? Who pays?

Thanks you very much!

4 replies to this topic
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
1. Re: Info NEEDED!! Hospital bill in Nairobi? Who pays?

It's wonderful that you are helping but please do verify what you are bring told. I've heard the hospital tale so many times!

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
2. Re: Info NEEDED!! Hospital bill in Nairobi? Who pays?

Absolutely. This is frequently used scam as medical bills can be high = you sending lots of money.

Government funded healthcare is pretty basic anf the main hospital is the Kenyatta National Hospital. Otherwise healthcare is privately funded and the standard of the hospital tends to be reflected in the price.

You need to find out which hospital for a start and take things from there. BUT be very careful, as if you agree to fund this without doing research, you could be landed with a bill on which you'd be hard pressed to differentiate the bill total anf the telephone number. On top of that the child could be running around, absolutely fine and has never been near a hospital.

Mombasa, Kenya
3. Re: Info NEEDED!! Hospital bill in Nairobi? Who pays?

It depends whether the parent is covered by National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF). Many Kenyans tend to be very ignorant on the scheme which goes as low as k.sh 180 per month. If the parent is covered, and pays as required then admission for inpatient is totally free of charge. However, you will have to buy medicines. For outpatient, you have to pay and of which is usually costly because only extreme cases are liable for admission. But as you have been advised by many, make your research well and if genuine, please go ahead to support.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
4. Re: Info NEEDED!! Hospital bill in Nairobi? Who pays?

You say the child attends school in Nairobi. Is this Primary or Secondary? Does the family live in Nairobi slums or elsewhere? If the latter, where, because there may be a good Mission Hospital nearby. (not free!). Do you have a reliable contact who handles the school fees for you?

Yes, NHIF is good if the parent is paying monthly and the child is registered as a dependent.

Edited: 6:15 am, April 30, 2014
Reply to: Info NEEDED!! Hospital bill in Nairobi? Who pays?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted