We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grenoble, France
Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

Hi I'll be coming to Nairobi for work at the end of the month, and I will have a Sunday free. I'd like to do a one day "safari" in Nairobi National park. I see it is highly recommended but I can't find a lot of details. Should I make a reservation with a company to take me around beforehand? Should I just take a cab there by myself without any other arrangements? Are there tours organized by the park? Thanks for your advice.

7 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 91
1. Re: Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

You needn't book in advance. You can get a taxi cab to take you there, but I need to stress that you'll need to bargain in advance. You don't need to take hotel taxis, and there more expensive.

2. Re: Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:22 am, May 06, 2014

New York City, New...
3. Re: Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

Even if I take a cab to NNP -- wouldn't I need some other form of transportation inside the park?

Does anyone have any good recommendations to go on some reasonly-priced game drive? I emailed a few companies, and they quoted me $130+ for the 3-4 hour experience, which seems pretty expensive to me.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
4. Re: Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

The entrance fee is $50 for a non resident before you add on the taxi cost.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
5. Re: Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

I have seen guests in the park with a taxi, and they have not had a great experience. The grass can be tall and when in a saloon car, sightings can be difficult. In a mini van with a driver/guide you will have a pop up roof, so you can stand up and get a decent view. Ask you hotel if they can organise and if there are any other guests who may want to join you.

My suggestion would be to leave the hotel by 5.30 am, so you can enter by 6 am, and then leave by 11.30 am as the day starts to warm up.

We went in January and saw 13 lion/lionesses and 12 rhino.

6. Re: Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:31 am, August 07, 2014

7. Re: Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 5:30 am, May 05, 2014

Reply to: Do I need to book tour in advance for Nairobi national park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted