We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

My family and I (4 adults and 1 -11 year old) are arriving in Nairobi end of April at 1:00pm and are planning on taking the train to Mombassa that night.

- Should we be reserving tickets.

- We would like to get adjoining first class berths.

- and are the recommended agents on the seat 61 site still the best choice, i'm just wondering if the site is still up to date.

thanks,

Gerry

22 replies to this topic
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
14 reviews
11. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

Definitely take plenty of water and a few snacks - keep all your possessions on you at all time -do not leave anything of value in your cabin or under the pillow .................

Winnipeg, Canada
5 posts
1 review
12. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

Ok, sounds like it's going to be exciting, lol. Thanks for all the responses but my family has voted and we decided to still take the train. the one problem I'm having though is getting an agent to reply to me about pre-booking tickets. I tried emailing Uniglobe and east Africa shuttles and no response. I know Christopher you said the train might be busy because of no bus service, do you think it will be a problem just getting the tickets that Friday afternoon.

thanks,

Gerry

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
810 posts
7 reviews
13. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

I suggest you phone them.

I don't know why they didn't answer your emails, but many of these outfits have cut their staff, so they may just be languishing on the "pile".

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
43 posts
14. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

Certainly a trip for the hard at heart.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 posts
1 review
15. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

Hi Everyone,

thanks for all your help I am finally in contact with Uniglobe, the email way did not work so my daughter got a hold of them through Facebook. just to let everyone up to date the prices have changed it now costs

$72.50 total for adult first class ticket

$52.50 total for child first class ticket

(their service fee is $17.50 per ticket)

Thanks again,

Gerry

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
810 posts
7 reviews
16. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

The trip takes longer now, perhaps that's their rationale for raising the fares :)

Don't forget the extra food and a toilet roll. And perhaps some wellingtons to wade into the toilet after it's been used a few times.

italia
Level Contributor
909 posts
162 reviews
17. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

I was wondering if anyone has travelled on the train recently.. How was the experience? i would like use the train to mombasa on 29 december

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
18. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

Earlier this year we looked into the train as well, but with two small children, it was not that much to just get on a domestic flight and be there in one hour. Pricing right now on Kenya Air shows around $150 USD return for flights this month.

Itala, Italy
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
19. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

thank you for your answer, but I do not mind the cost of the flight, I just wanted to know if anyone has used this train lately.

20. Re: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, December 02, 2014

Reply to: Reserving train tickets to Mombassa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted