We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pottstown...
reviews: 2
Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

Hello. My son and I will have a half day to spend around Nairobi before our late night flight departs. We would like to visit the Giraffe Centre and then the elephant orphanage at 5pm (we have fostered a baby). We will be dropped off at the Giraffe Centre around 1:00pm. My question is, is the Karen Blixen Museum on the same property as the Giraffe Centre? I am trying to figure out if 3-4 hours is too much time at the Giraffe Centre. If we can also see the museum, souvenir shop, and possibly grab a bite to eat I think 3-4 hours would be fine, but I don't know if we can walk from the Giraffe Centre to the museum. A driver will then take us to the elephant orphage...or is that walking distance from the Giraffe Centre? Thanks for your help and advice.

8 replies to this topic
Michigan
reviews: 42
1. Re: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

Although the Giraffe Centre and Karen Blixen Museum are in the same general area, they are not on the same property. Are you coming from a safari? If so, and others may offer a different opinion, when I went to the giraffe center, I spent only 30 minutes as it was rather zoo like, getting the giraffes to give you a kiss. I'd rather see them in the wild. The giraffes there are the same ones that visit the guests at Giraffe Manor. Personally, I'd skip the giraffes. You could even see the giraffes at the public time of 11 and adoptive parent time of 5 (very different experiences) and go have a bite to eat in between and/or visit the Kazuri bead factory which is in the area as well.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
2. Re: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

The Karen Blixen Museum is exactly 5km (just over 3 miles) from the Giraffe Centre, and visitors wouldn't normally choose to walk between the two. Between 1pm and 5pm you have more then enough time for the Giraffe Centre (1 hour max) and Karen Blixen Museum (again, 1 hour at the most). I would ensure you keep your vehicle and driver for the whole afternoon. I really doubt that would cost any more.

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

nyc
3. Re: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

I'm with Richard... keep your driver for the afternoon. You can visit Blixen, Giraffe Center, Kazuri Beads, Utamaduni Crafts (has a lovely well priced cafe on the grounds). If other than a Sunday you can take the tour at Kazuri (interesting). Then head to Sheldriick by 5pm to visit your chubby; off to dinner somewhere and then to airport for homebound.

Pottstown...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

Thank you all for your input. We are coming off safari, but still wish to see the giraffes at the center. I didn't realize keeping our driver for the afternoon would be an option, but since it apparently is, we are going to follow all of your advice and do as many of visits 4Sandi suggested as possible. Thanks again.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
reviews: 3
5. Re: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

We hired a hotel taxi for a half day. After visiting/shopping at MatBronze and other usual places, we spent a few hours in the afternoon at the Giraffe Center before the driver came back to pick us up to the Sheldricks. It was relaxing & great that the giraffes & warthogs were all to ourselves spending a lot of time with them, talking to the care taker and having lunch/snacks, souvenir shopping there after the hurried tourists came and went just spending a few min. We felt sorry for them.

6. Re: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:53 am, February 19, 2014

7. Re: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:53 am, February 19, 2014

nyc
8. Re: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum

Remember - there are entry fees to visit some as Karen Blixen and Giraffe Center; not much but don't leave yourself without any funds, Believe KB is about $5 and GC maybe $10 (preferably in Kenyan Shillings); No fee at Kazuri or Utamaduni. If your tour operator provides vehicle/driver for entire afternoon thru dinner and onto airport, do reverify whether these fees included or not.

Reply to: Giraffe Centre in same place as Karen Blixen Museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted