We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival time before flight at JKIA

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 3
Arrival time before flight at JKIA

I am being told by my Safari company that we need to arrive at the international airport 3 hours ahead of time for our flight to Mahe, Seychelles. Does that seem reasonable? We have a 9 am flight on Kenya air on a Sunday. They want to pick us up at our hotel at 5:30 am! That is if we stay at the EKA hotel and if we stay at the House of Waine they want to pick us up at 5am!

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
11. Re: Arrival time before flight at JKIA

Here is the actual security notice from the Kenya Airport Authority advising passengers to arrive at least one hour before normal arrival time, it does say this is because of the extra vehicle checks

http://tinyurl.com/nfycsef

Edited: 11:12 pm, January 31, 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 160
12. Re: Arrival time before flight at JKIA

Spoke to friends who have travelled in the last few days, as well as read newspaper reports. Additional security measures have been put in place before you enter the airport including passengers being asked to step out of the their vehicles to be searched.

The line for vehicles at the airports stretches from the entry barriers past the roundabout to Mombasa Road, and can take between 15 - 45 minutes to clear.

Also the entry via airport south road has been closed off to passengers.

San Francisco...
reviews: 3
13. Re: Arrival time before flight at JKIA

Thank you all for your responses. We decided to stay at Aero Club at the Wilson airport. I guess we will leave between 6 and 6:30 for our 9 am flight on Kenya Air. Sound reasonable? How long should it take to get there on a Sunday?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 160
14. Re: Arrival time before flight at JKIA

Just came back from JKIA. To enter, all vehicles are being stopped, and driver / passengers asked to alight and are frisked / wanded. The driver is then asked to open the boot and the contents are inspected. The passenger in the car in front of me was asked to open his suitcase.

I went at 5 pm which is not a very busy time for the airport, and would have added an extra 15 minutes to here the airport. I would imagine at peak times, this process would take longer.

To the right if the road, there is already evidence that they are extending the number of lanes entering the airport where they will carry out these searches. I wonder how they will do this when it is raining.

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 159
15. Re: Arrival time before flight at JKIA

The worst airport in the world gets even worse every day. It's a total shambles & I for one won't be back until they sort things out, once & for all.

16. Re: Arrival time before flight at JKIA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 04, 2015