We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning traffic to airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redruth, United...
reviews: 14
Morning traffic to airport

I have to catch a flight to Watamu at 10.30 in the morning. What is the traffic like first thing in the morning, presuming that I will have to be at the airport an hour prior to travelling. I am staying at a hotel about 20 mins away by taxi.

8 replies to this topic
1. Re: Morning traffic to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:28 am, May 06, 2014

Oxford, UK
reviews: 1
2. Re: Morning traffic to airport

It will very much depend on where you are staying and what side of the road it is. I stay at the Boma and that means that you have to head in towards Nairobi for a bit before being able to cross over to the airport direction side of the road. Last time my flight to Mombasa was 8.30 and I left the hotel at 7.00am and didn't arrive at the airport until 8.05 to be told that I would have to wait for the next flight as boarding closed at 8.00. Luckily I was able to get round this and catch the flight but won't be making the same mistake again even when catching the 6.30am flight next month when I return

Minneapolis...
reviews: 97
3. Re: Morning traffic to airport

I like the comparison of Nairobi traffic to a horror movie - except the plot of a horror movie follows some kind of predictable pattern, while Nairobi traffic does not demonstrate even a basic internal logic. During rush hour, the combination of traffic lights with roundabouts becomes totally ineffective and gridlock can result. At this point it seems traffic police step in, directing traffic according to their own whims.

In other words... leave lots of extra time to prevent stress as you sit stopped dead in traffic with not a hint of when it might start again...

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
4. Re: Morning traffic to airport

Grine, there are no flights to Watamu - Malinidi or Mombasa. What airline? And what hotel in Nairobi are you staying at?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: Morning traffic to airport

<< I have to catch a flight to Watamu at 10.30 in the morning >> There's no airport at Watamu

<< presuming that I will have to be at the airport an hour prior to travelling >> Which airport ? Wilson or JKIA

<< I am staying at a hotel about 20 mins away by taxi >> Huh ???

Redruth, United...
reviews: 14
6. Re: Morning traffic to airport

Apologies flying to Malindi from JKIA and staying at Boma Inn.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Morning traffic to airport

If your flying on a sunday it will take you 10mins, a weekday should not take more than 30mins from Boma to JKIA.

uk
reviews: 1
8. Re: Morning traffic to airport

best thing is leave early. less stress less hassel. get there relax have s coffee much better

Reply to: Morning traffic to airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted