We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 22
Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

Ever since I heard of the David Shldrick Wildlife Trust I have wanted to adopt a baby elephant and visit it. I am finally going to be able to do this in 2015.

I am planning to stop off in Nairobi for 3-4 days either before or after my trip to Uganda. I am planning to do the usual things: DST, Giraffe Centre, Kuzari Beads, Maasi Market, Utamaduni Crafts and Nairobi National Park (just in case my wildlife viewing in Uganda is less than stellar)

Here are my questions:

Is a full day in Nairobi NP too much? Would I be able to do a game drive in the AM, leave and then return for a game drive in the PM without having to pay the park fee twice?

I am thinking of doing a day trip out of Nairobi as well and I was wondering if there is there wildlife at Lake Navisha/Hell's Gate? I don't really want to hike as I will be doing 2X gorilla treks, 1 golden moneky trek, 1 chimp habituation, and 1 chimp forest walk (at Ngamba Island) so will be getting plenty of exercise while I am in Uganda. My other choice is Lake Nakuru.

For lodging I really wanted to stay at Nairobi Tented Camp, but it is out of my price range so I am leaning towards Wildebeest Camp or Macushla House any pros or cons for either?

Thanks for your help - Joanne

7 replies to this topic
Michigan
reviews: 53
1. Re: Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

Joanne

Hell's Gate National Park is interesting. Was there in January, 2010. You can get out of your vehicles and walk about or even rent a bike and cycle. Wildlife wise, saw lots of zebras and elands and some birds, but not a lot of other wildlife. What is interesting, is the topography. The cliffs and rock formations are quite different than I saw in other locations. Having said that, if I had a choice between Lake Nakuru and Lake Naivasha (stayed there while visiting Hell's Gate), I'd pick Lake Nakuru. There is a huge variety of wildlife there, including rhino and the possibility of leopards.

Laurena

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
2. Re: Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

Hi Joanne

Nairobi National Park is awesome. We were there last Sunday and saw 9 lion (3 males, 2 females, 1 sub-adult male and 3 sub adult females), 1 serval cat and 9 rhino plus giraffe, zebra, buffalo, eland, impala, hart beast, thompsons gazelle, grants gazelle, topi, baboons, vervet monkey, hippo and heaps of birds.

If you are not staying the in the park, and exit, you will have to re-pay when you enter.

Have you had a look at Emakoko for accommodation?

There is not much game in Naivasha, but there is in Nakuru. Again if you don't stay in the park, then you have to pay to re-enter.

RWA

Indianapolis...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

Hi Joanne,

We were in Nairobi twice this past year. One in Jan and one in June. I would highly recommend Simon Koech of Dawn Safaris. He is honest, trustworthy and his prices are very reasonable. He took us for for several days to the sights that you have mentioned. He knows the city well and can plan out your trip so that you can see the most for the time you have. He is wonderful to work with and I have sent several people to him! You can reach him at info@dawnsafaris.co.ke. He can not only help you with getting around and transportation, but he can help you with places to eat and accommodations, as well. Please tell him Kellie said hello!

Enjoy your stay

4. Re: Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:52 am, August 07, 2014

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 22
5. Re: Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

Thanks everyone, I think I will go with Lake Nakuru for my out of Nairobi day trip.

Can anyone let me know what the price for a single is for Emakoko, (it looks lovely by the way) I can't seem to find one on their website.

Thanks - Joanne

6. Re: Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:52 am, August 07, 2014

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
7. Re: Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions

Hey - 3-4 days in NBI, you can easily do those things you want to do. Go to Naivasha & Nakuru too. Worthwhile spending O/N in Naivasha. Heaps of accommodation from Camping, B&B, hotels,etc.etc..

Yes, there's herbivorous game if you go to Crater Lake. Plenty of game at Lake Nakuru.

Can i suggest 2days in Naivasha/Nakuru & 2 days in NBI. In NBI, can i suggest the Animal Orphanage, Safari walk, Sheldrick & Giraffe Centre.

I'd skip the NBI NP & instead opt for Nakuru NP for guaranteed game viewing.

Accommodation options: Wildebeest Camp, Karen Blixen Coffee Garden Cottage, Rock House. Fishermans Camp (Naivashaj) & Punda Mililas (Nakuru)

Edited: 1:43 am, January 25, 2014
Reply to: Planning 3-4 Days in Nairobi - a few questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted