We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing customs in Africa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 12
Clearing customs in Africa

I am booking a flight from London to Mt. Kilimanjaro airport with a very short layover and plane change in Nairobi. I am getting mixed reports as to whether you have to clear customs in Nairobi or Mt. Kilimanjaro. The flight is British Airways connecting with Precision Airways in Nairobi. The layover is only 1 hr. 5 min. and there aren't a lot of alternatives at the price of the ticket.

Tanzania
reviews: 63
1. Re: Clearing customs in Africa

I have done that flight 20+ times (I live in Moshi). You clear customs at Kilimanjaro. In Nairobi, they put your hand luggage through scanners for security reasons but I have been questioned about some non-security related items (cash) and told them it did not concern them. But you don't see your checked luggage at Nairobi; it goes right through to KIA.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 160
2. Re: Clearing customs in Africa

When you check in with BA, ask them to check your luggage through to JRO. They will not be able to issue you a boarding pass for NBO JRO. When you land in Nairobi, go to the transfer desk, and get them to print your boarding pass for NBO JRO and also show them the luggage tag given to you by BA. They should then enter it onto their system.

However a 65 min connection is very tight. If BA is delayed by 30 minutes, you may miss your NBO JRO flight

nyc
3. Re: Clearing customs in Africa

Why would anyone have 'cash' in a bag that has to go thru screening?

Any/all cash is always on my body. Or separated in small envelopes in my carryon you couldn't know it was cash.

4. Re: Clearing customs in Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, January 25, 2015