We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on what to wear in and around Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CANADA
reviews: 1
Advice on what to wear in and around Nairobi

Hi,

First time going back to Nairobi in a few weeks...and going to be starting to pack soon. Any advice on what types of clothes to wear and avoid while roaming around there? I'm 30 yrs old and will be with my husband as well. Are tube dresses? Skirts? tank tops okay?

Is it okay to carry a purse? Small jewelry? earrings? Watch? bangles?

We will also be going to Mombasa and staying in a resort, so i'm assuming summer clothing is fine there (tube tops, shorts etc...)

Thank you!!

:D

2 replies to this topic
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
1. Re: Advice on what to wear in and around Nairobi

I never carry a handbag as a couple of my friends have found theirs to be "light" following a matatu journey. I prefer pockets, preferably with a zip or button so that I can spread my cash/cards/phone around and keep my hand on it. I only wear a cheap watch, small stud earrings and wedding ring and my phone a cheap Nokia as I don't want to attract attention. Minimise the risk.

It'll be hotter on the coast so as you say, summer clothes will be fine.

nyc
2. Re: Advice on what to wear in and around Nairobi

In NBO always wear slacks w/ t-shirt or regular shirt. Comfy shoes as ground often uneven (I'm a mocassin wearer). A jacket, fleece or sweater for early mornings and nights - gets nippy at over 5,000-ft.

Avoid 'real' jewelry, rather stick with faux which these days looks really good. Do though keep rings on, simple bangle and keep my diamond studs in ears as they're screwed in.... so far no issues. But generally try to avoid any possibilities by the bad guys up to no good. Rarely carry a bag rather sticik a credit card and some local currency in a pant pockiet.

On the beach, it's attire for warm/hot weather. A number of hotels though do insist men wear long pants for dinner. So ask.

Reply to: Advice on what to wear in and around Nairobi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted