We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CANADA
reviews: 1
Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has advice as to what types of products would be nice to give as gifts to family and friends there from Canada? Any particular brands of cookies, chocolates, perfumes etc...?

I understand you can buy mostly everything there, but it is expensive.

Thank you!!

8 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
1. Re: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

But it's more expensive in Canada! ;-). Just back from Vancouver, and Kenya is cheaper for pretty well everything.

To answer your question though, Kenya needs trade and shoppers, not gifts. I know that's not what you meant, but poorer people will always appreciate a visit to the local stores and market with a generous purse-holder. This is much better than lugging free gifts from overseas and doubles the benefit by pleasing local traders as well as the recipients.

Richard Trillo

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
2. Re: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

The most popular things for UK expats here (and it was the same in Thailand) to ask people to bring for them are peculiarly British sauces. pickles, etc routine everyday items that you just can't get here. For example Branston pickle, French mustard, Bisto gravy granules, HP or Daddies sauce (you can get HP here sometimes but it is expensive), and Marmite (which you can usually get but is very expensive).

Are there any Canadian sauces, relishes, pickles, etc that are institutions at home?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
3. Re: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

All depends on the family you are visiting. If they are used to Canadian products, then buy those. If they are not used to them, then souvenirs that depict Canada would be appreciated, but as Richard and Doff say, go out to the markets, etc., with them and buy things locally.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
4. Re: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

Ah! Good point, I read it as 'friends and family from Canada' but it could be just the gifts that are from Canada the friends and family could be local

CANADA
5. Re: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

Wonderful - thank you all for the advice. I do plan on purchasing items locally...

But I will take a few Canadian tokens from here :) Just so its a little different...esp Canadian maple syrup :)

London, United...
6. Re: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

When i stayed in Canada, i was soo glad i snuck some chocolate in, couldnt stand the stuff out there! :P

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
7. Re: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

Are your friends Canadian or Kenyan? I would second maple syrup and add cranberries. Calendars with specific Canadian views appeal to some people, but not all.

No need to bring anything made in China - you can get it here with no problem!!

CANADA
8. Re: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?

Hi,

They are kenyan...they all live there. This is family :)

Thank you.

Reply to: Advice on what gifts to take for family in Nairobi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted