We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe to drink alone

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 107
safe to drink alone

Solo senior lady traveling alone... I've read one needs to be careful in bars.. I'll be at Eka Hotel 2 nights prior to my safari. I know this sounds silly, but I'll ask anyways. Is it OK for me to have a couple of drinks alone at the bar? I assume yes?

5 replies to this topic
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 23
1. Re: safe to drink alone

Do you mean in your hotel bar or outside some place else?

In your hotel you will be fine, 100%.

Outside of it then try to be more careful, Take a taxi door to door your hotel can arrange and make sure you try to get advice about any specific bar you may visit,

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
reviews: 6
2. Re: safe to drink alone

Bobbi,

Seniors tend to be treated with respect in Africa. You'd probably be well received in any Kenyan bar, but you could be especially at ease in the bar of your own hotel.

The only nuisance I can imagine is an African man who wants to meet and marry a "white mama". You get these now and then. Age is no bar for them - on the coast there are men who come here specifically to find ones in their 70s.

Mombasa, Kenya
3. Re: safe to drink alone

Eka is a good quality respectable hotel so you should be absolutely fine there in a bar on your own.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 107
4. Re: safe to drink alone

Thanks all!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
5. Re: safe to drink alone

I stayed at the Eka for a night last month. Found it very unassuming and straightforward, with good staff and decent food. I think you'd be absolutely fine having a drink on your own, using the pool and just minding your own business.

Richard Trillo

Reply to: safe to drink alone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted