We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlights of Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 315
Highlights of Nairobi

I am thinking of taking a tour that ends up in Nairobi. I can add a day or so before heading home. I have read a few posts on here about main sights, but not sure of the best and what can be done in a day or so.

What would you suggest as an add on in Nairobi? I am a fast person and can move as fast as the traffic will allow. Thank you.

20 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
11. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

I would suggest you stay at hotel in town, this is why. if you have 2 days:

Day 1

You can access David Shieldrick Elephant sanctuary, Karen blixen, Giraffe Centre, Ololua Nature trail and Bomas of Kenya which are located in Karen Nairobi. Go to this places in the morning is off peak and you will not experience traffic jams.

Day 2

You can visit the opposite side of town where we have the Museum, UN Headquarters tour, Karura forest excursion and finish off with a Cheese Factory tour at Brown's Cheese..also engage in a cheese tasting session

12. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, March 06, 2014

Los Angeles...
13. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

Do you think Hillpark Hotel is good. Seems between CBD and Karen, right? Thank you

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 29
14. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

I planned for my Nairobi touring before my safari for a couple of reasons. First to get acclimated to the time zone changes (9 for me from the middle of the USA). I also wanted to do some work with my cameras on a limited game drive so the Nairobi National Park was a good primer.

I thoroughly enjoyed my two days in Nairobi, well actually in the Karen area (which was mentioned above). Here is the link to my travel journal (with photos) written on my time in Nairobi: igougo.com/journal-j76135-Nairobi-Starting_t… .

It includes the Karen Blixen House; Kazuri Beads, Giraffe Center and the David Sheldrick Elephant orphanage.

Enjoy!

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 73
15. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

Elephant orphanage!!! It's only open from 11:00-12:00 every day, and well worth the $5 to get in! Watching baby elephants play and drink out of bottles is very cute. Plus you get to learn their stories and what happened to each elephant's mom. If you have a little extra money, you can pick one to "adopt" and take home a picture of it.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 4
16. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

National museum - Culture/history/anthropology of Kenya. Lots to see and is also a welcome reprieve from heat and bustle of the city, good cafe too. We found walking to the museum from the centre of the city was easier due to traffic jams.

David Seldrick Elephant Orphanage- Become a foster parent and you can visit privately in the early evening.

Giraffe Sanctuary - Good for a couple of hours.

(We visited Jan 2014)

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 5:59 am, April 02, 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 4
17. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

Day 1: Oloolua Nature Trail in Ngong.

Day 2: Karura Forest Nature Trail in Kiambu

If hiking is not your cup of tea, visit the Giraffe Center and Kitengela Glass. Or maybe David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and Nairobi National Park.(Both located in the same place)

If you prefer museums and history, try Karen Blixen Museum and the National Museums of Kenya

Edited: 7:54 am, April 11, 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 2
18. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

Hello Harlan8,

since you have 2 days in Nairobi, please consider Giraffe centre, karen blixen, David sheldrick orphanage and most importantly, Nairobi worlds' famous restaurant - Carnivore restaurant for either you Dinner or lunch. Nairobi National park is of minimal importance since you will be from safari and moreso if you will be from Mara, l. nakuru etc. SashaKitu Lets Venture Africa

Los Angeles...
19. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

I used Genet Tours for day 2, they were very helpful, prompt and took me where ever I wanted as time allowed. I spent the first day at the Nairobi Museum, which has amazing fossils and other exhibits, then walked around the CBD.

The next day went to Oloolua Trail, a total waste of money. Perhaps if you live in Nairobi and want some nature, but for the tourist its a waste. Badly laid out and expensive.

Karen Blixen house was too pricey, just walked around the grounds. Didnt want to pay that to see another old house.

Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage was great. Very worth while.

Giraffe center, again expensive, as all you do is feed the giraffes and look at a tortoise. I took the nature walk, not that interesting. But it was fun to feed the giraffes.

Mamba Village was great. See crocs, hold baby crocs. A lake and ostriches. Worth checking out.

Bomas of Kenya was not that great. The same dancers dance the various styles, so you really do not get that great a feeling for the various tribes. The little villages are a joke, as they are all pretty much the same.

The night before I went to Carnivore. I thought it was just ok. Meat was overcooked. Only exotic meat was crocodile. They also had ostrich meatballs. There was a private party with dancers, other wise, I think I would recommend another place.

Nairobi, Kenya
20. Re: Highlights of Nairobi

check out collingham gardens residence and club. it a small boutique located in the karen suburbs, they are close to several attractions. the Nairobi national park, sheldrick elephant orphanage, kazuri, A F E W giraffe, karen blixen,... check out their virtual tour at http://www.collinghamgardens.co.ke/360

Reply to: Highlights of Nairobi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted