We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How fast to the international flights fill up?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 108
How fast to the international flights fill up?

My safari is booked for September 2014. I see my preferred airline only offers 1 flight (Amsterdam to Nairobi) a day. Can I wait to book for a few months? Or do this flights fill up fast. I realize I am traveling in peek season. Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Dearborn, Michigan
1. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

Sorry for the typos...

Washington DC...
reviews: 9
2. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

You've got some time. KLM has sales from time to time so it's important to stay vigilant. As a general strategy it's good to settle on a price that you're willing to pay and when it comes up, buy the ticket and don't look back. Also, though they might not be your preferred airline, it might be worthwhile to keep an eye on some other airlines for especially low fares.

Michigan
reviews: 41
3. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

I'm traveling through the same airports as you, plus an additional one. I booked in June for a flight in March. I wanted good seat choices, have smaller planes on the first leg so limited seating and the fare was decent.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
4. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

Also have a look at code share flights with KLM that are Skyteam partners such as Kenya Airways, who offer connections from Paris, Heathrow and Amsterdam to Nairobi. You may get a good price with them.

Oakland, CA
reviews: 153
5. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

I dnt know how fat they fill up--surely the USA to Europe one (Michigan to Amsterdam?) will start filling up soon, as people start their summer Europe plans.

Personaly, I would not wait much longer. And in terms of hopng for loper prices, I have not found any price decreases on round-trips to E Africa from the USA in the last two yrs of looking. If you want to wait, don't do it with the expectation of a price decrease. If it does decrease, it will be likely minor --$50 to 100 per ticket maybe. The days of significant price drops on int'l flights from USA are a thing of the past, not just IME, but those of travel agents of whom i've enquired.

Oakland, CA
6. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

How FAST (not fat) the flights fill up. lol

Washington DC...
7. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

I think it's debatable as to whether fares can dip for the US-NBO market. The following chart would indicate that fares do in fact rise and fall with some significant savings. faredetective.com/farehistory/flights-from-D…

What's not debatable is that different airlines can have big differences in their fares. Turkish Airlines, Qatar and Ethiopian often come in lower than Delta/KLM, and such is the case now for September 2014. If the shortest duration is key and money not a major concern you could buy now with KLM. Personally I'd wait a tad to see if you can do better. Every now and then KLM surprises with a pretty good sale.

Oakland, CA
8. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

thanks for that link, Steve. Indeed, as you point out,different airlines charge wildly different fares (British vs Ethiopian, for example). And, as you mention, the lower fares sometimes involve numerous connections, long layovers, etc. thanks for the tip. I'll check Qatar, as they are part of the One World so i can still get points!

The airline i use, British, keeps fares pretty much the same, and unfortunately one i waited on just went up, darn it.

Happy New Year and Happy Travels to all!!

Washington DC...
9. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

Aah, British Air!, that explains it, Calinurse. I can't believe I didn't guess that---they do hold the line on fares for sure. Well, happy new year to you too!!

Dearborn, Michigan
10. Re: How fast to the international flights fill up?

Thanks all for the info. I see a decent fare on klm, but would rather wait a bit to book... Not for the fare, but just give myself more time b4 totally committing. Hopefully it won't go up..,

Reply to: How fast to the international flights fill up?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted