We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Way up North, USA
reviews: 2
Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

We land in Nairobi at 8:10pm on a Sunday off a non-stop 8 hour flight from Amsterdam. We will have spent 2 nights in Amsterdam so should be fairly well rested up and over jet lag. Due to the late arrival, I was thinking we would spend 2 nights at Macushla House and spend the day visiting some combination of Sheldrick elephant orphanage, giraffe center, Karen Blixen, Nairobi National Park etc. We have never been to Africa before.

But we're not too excited about the Nairobi sights and I'm having second thoughts. Is it feasible to just spend the night at the hotel Aero Club of East Africa which is within the grounds of Wilson Airport and fly out Monday morning at 8am for Amboseli? I'm not sure how long it will take to collect our baggage in JKIA, go through passport control, and transfer and get checked into the Aero Club of East Africa hotel. It would save time and money for safari. And we wouldn't have to fight Tuesday morning traffic from Macushla House to Wilson. Would you do it?

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
1. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

Yes definitely. Nairobi isn't the greatest city in the world. These days we always travel out the day after we arrive. We'd probably leave sooner if we could but its not possible to travel upcountry after dark.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 91
2. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

I live most of the year in Nairobi, so as long as you've rested and recovered from jet lag; I'd urge you to leave Nairobi immediately and begin your safari. It will be far more exciting than anything you'll see in Nairobi.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
3. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

The Aero Club of East Africa does provide accommodating and you can chek-in at anytime once you are out of the airport. As per how much time you will spend at the airport, nowadays immigration are very fast working on an average of 3 minutes per passenger. So it depends on number of passengers and tellers that are available on that particular day. I highly recommend the Aero club restaurant burgers, I think they are the best in town mmmm

Boston...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

We usually arrive late in the evening and fly out as soon as we can the next day to get to a game park/reserve. There are a couple of decent hotels near JKIA to stay and you could be up and over to Wilson the first thing in the morning. If you are on a 10:00 am flight to a reserve leave around 8:00.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
5. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

I've heard good reports of Aero Club and you'll be right there at Wilson with no worries about taxis or traffic.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
6. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

Hey - traffic is a horror in NBO. Since you have 2 days to spare, good on you. Aero Club is perfect,

Just a few mins drive from Areo Club is KWS Langata Animal Orphanage/Safari Walk/ NBI NP.

Go to Sheldrick & Giraffe on the following day You won't be able to do all in single day.

Don't venture any further than Langata/ Karen. you should be fine,.

Cheers.

Edited: 8:58 am, December 09, 2013
nyc
7. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

Granted most people take the 8am flight to Amboseli after arrival the night before. However, there is a 2pm flight (less than 1/hr) which would give you sufficient time Mon morning to do the sightseeing: Blixen, Giraffe Center and Sheldrick, quick lunch (at Aero.... good food, good prices) and back to Wilson for the flight.

Having spent 2/days in AMS you shouldn't have any issue with jet lag, so on arrival Sun at JKIA, transfer to Aero Club (note: breakfast NOT included in their price) sleep, early breafast at their restaurant, arrange to sightsee first and then return to Wilson for flight to Amboseli.

Way up North, USA
8. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

It looks like Aero Club of East Africa is a good option for us. Thanks for your help!

9. Re: Land JKIA 8:10pm, would you fly from Wilson at 8am next day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 11, 2014