We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

current state of Nairobi Airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hawaii
reviews: 1
current state of Nairobi Airport

can anyone give an update about current state of airport facilities ...are tents still in use? are any restaurant options available? about how much should I pay for a taxi from City Hall area to airport?

thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
1. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

Hi,

the tents are long gone (from beginning of October). Your question implies that you are departing rather than arriving, all Departures were also restored to their pre-fire locations at the beginning of October.

The only restaurant at the airport was above the Arrivals Hall that was destroyed by the fire. however Java House near gate 14 airside re-opened when that area of Departures did. It does food but can get very busy, (it also has a take away counter).

Landside there is a pleasant cafe with terrace called The Pub between Departures and the Domestic Terminal, though it only does basic snacks.

Sorry can't help with the taxi.

nyc
2. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

From previous info posted here, appears taxi fare from airport into the city is around USD$20-25, so guess it's the same in reverse (payment, of course to be made in KSH).

Northern California
reviews: 57
3. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

Has the "first class" lounge been restored? I have not been to JKIA since the fire, but from what I have read it (lounge) was central enough in the building that it was burned. Thanks.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
4. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

In addition to Java, there are the usual NAS Cafe's dotted throughout the departures area of the airport.

The First Class lounge has been re-opened but as a KQ lounge only for Business Class passengers on Sky Team flights (Gold/Platinum don't have access, but get a voucher for Kshs 700 to spend at a NAS Cafe).

Northern California
5. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

So business class on non-Sky Team cannot purchase entrance?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
6. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

Business Class on non SkyTeam don't have a lounge. EK and QR give a snack box. BA offer tea/coffee and water.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 37
7. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

I know it's a disgusting habit, but does anyone know if there's somewhere you can still smoke after going through Security? With the old smoking lounge I didn't mind having to wait several hours in departures, but if there's nowhere to smoke, I'd rather not go through until I really need to.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 47
8. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

Bumping this to see if anyone has any updates. Was planning on carrying on all of my luggage, but now think I might need to check a bag to get more deet and suncreen (our tour operator said it's very expensive to purchase at the safari lodges). How is the baggage claim area running if we're arriving internationally? Is there a long wait for luggage? Anyone have lost luggage?

Also, we are leaving directly from Naivasha to JKIA for a 7 pm flight. Any suggestions for how to make sure we don't miss our flight due to traffic delays while also not getting to the airport ridiculously early with nothing to do? Any parks/museums near JKIA that you would suggest?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
9. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

i arrived on 23 Nov on BA, walked onto the steps off the aircraft at 21.59 and at 22.16 I was meeting my driver outside arrivals. That included the short transit bus journey from the apron to the arrivals hall, buying a visa and getting my luggage off the carousel.

A record, certainly for me! Anyone else think the post-fire JKIA is infinitely better than the pre-fire version?!

I'd have no hesitation in recommending people treat NBO as a regular, efficient airport. Limited facilities, admittedly, but ATMs and SIM card shops are all working fine.

Pam, your question about early/late dilemma, it will depend somewhat on whether you're travelling weekday or weekend. A 7pm flight means a roughly 5pm check-in. I'd be leaving Lake Naivasha (depending slightly where at the lake) no later than 1pm. You might be at the airport at 3.30, but if you left at 2.30, you might not make it in time. There's unfortunately nowhere to while away the odd hour or two without risking further delays.

Richard Trillo

Northern California
10. Re: current state of Nairobi Airport

Wow. Great news about the speed of your arrival. That beats by a good hour anything I have ever experienced in about 10 trips into JKIA.