We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi to Kericho

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CANADA
reviews: 1
Nairobi to Kericho

Hi,

I wanted to know how to get from Nairobi to Kericho and are the roads good and safe? How long is the commute?

Also from Kericho to Kisumu - how to get there and are the roads good and safe? How long is the commute?

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
1. Re: Nairobi to Kericho

Nairobi to Kericho is around 150 miles and should take around four hours once you clear Nairobi. Kericho to Kisumu is a fifty mile journey that takes about an hour and a half. The cheapest transport is provided by buses, which will only cost a few dollars.

The roads aren't too bad, but we're not talking North American style highways. Narrow country roads, with occasional/frequent potholes. Road travel is definitely not as safe as in Canada - there's a significant risk of accidents. Having said that, the risk is still statistically very low.

Safari njema!

Richard Trillo

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: Nairobi to Kericho

Just to add onto Richard's comments, I recently did a road journey to Kisumu & if I recall the roads were very decent. There are plenty of buses plying that route, but Easy Coach is the best bet.

http://www.easycoach.co.ke/

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Nairobi to Kericho

There are some road works, meaning diversions, nearer Kisumu, but these may be over before you come.

CANADA
reviews: 1
4. Re: Nairobi to Kericho

Thank you all... for your replies :)

One more question - any thoughts on going from Kisumu to Kampala? How to go about and is it safe to drive?

Thanks.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Nairobi to Kericho

Are you talking of self-drive? if so, you need to sort out crossing the border with a vehicle, insurance etc. Somebody who know the ropes at Busia can advise you (we are nearer to Malaba).

If you are using public transport, it should be no problem. At the moment, there are no night buses or Public Service vehicles, but I wouldn't go by night anyway!

Reply to: Nairobi to Kericho
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted