We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long in Nairobi and how safe?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 52
How long in Nairobi and how safe?

Hello everyone!

I'm planning on a 42 day tour from Nairobi to Cape Town (with Nomad Adventures). As the tour starts by driving straight out to Tanzania, I'd like to linger in Nairobi first, on my own, for a couple of days in order not to completely miss out on Kenya. This will be my first trip to Africa (thus far I've traveled independently around Asia, Europe and North-America) so I only have a distant idea about what to expect. What I'm wondering is:

1) How many days are a "must" in Nairobi?

2) How does it feel to be a solo, female (very blonde and pale) traveler there?

And perhaps 3) any budget hotels/hostels you can recommend?)

As for 2), I consider myself relatively street-wise, I'm familiar with the general safety precautions. What I'm wondering is where on the scale of "friendly - hostile" towards solo females is the city? Even if I don't get mugged/attacked, how comfortable would I feel walking the streets? I'm asking because this might factor in my decision on how early I decide to get there before the tour starts.

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: How long in Nairobi and how safe?

1. Depends what you want to do ?? Shopping, sight seeing. There 's a museum, animal orphanages, shopping for curiosetc..

2. Its perfectly safe in NBI following recent Westgate Shopping Mall tragedy where 100's died. Things are now back to normal.

3. Have a look at Wildebeest Camp in Langata.

Edited: 1:45 am, November 01, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 89
2. Re: How long in Nairobi and how safe?

I live in Nairobi most of the year, and for many reasons I love living there. However, I don't recommend spending more than two evenings here. You will probably enjoy Daphne Sheldrick's Elephant Orphanage, and there are some excellent opportunities for shopping.

nyc
3. Re: How long in Nairobi and how safe?

Agree, two (2) full days is sufficient for areas of sightseeing and shopping.

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 52
4. Re: How long in Nairobi and how safe?

Thanks for your help!

Paris, France
5. Re: How long in Nairobi and how safe?

1) 2 days is more than enough

2) walking in the streets is better to be with locals, and of course day time only)

3) there are couple of cheap Nairobi hotels/hostels here https:/…

Reply to: How long in Nairobi and how safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted