We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet access with bandwidth for data files

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
reviews: 57
Internet access with bandwidth for data files

I am on holiday soon in the Kajiado area -- but not in town. The wifi that I can access when the wind is blowing in the right direction does not have enough bandwidth for data files. ISP providers come and go. Willing to pay for access. I just don't have time to research or test different alternatives. Suggestions?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
1. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

Just to clarify, do you mean you have already been there and tried Safaricom, Airtel and Orange's mobile broadband and want an alternative to mobile broadband?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

There should be Cyber Cafe in town.

Northern California
3. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

Yes I have been there and no I haven't tried the alternatives such as safaricom. Testing each one for signal strength in the particular area is what I don't have time to do. I want to leave a computer behind that does have data access. There is a cafe in town. That is impractical for our needs. What I don't have and am seeking is information about the the ISP option.

Edited: 2:01 am, October 28, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

ISP requires alot of formalities incl paperwork & setup. Don't think any of reputable ISP providers will set up something temporary in remote location like Kajiado.

Safaricom modem should work.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
5. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

Right a 3G mobile dongle will give speeds of up to 7 mbps and typically between 1 and 2 mbps far faster than the speeds you normally get in cyber cafes that operate off 'landlines' and typically use services that offer maximum speeds of between 512 kbps (more common) and 2 mbps (more expensive so less common) and typically run much slower.

Safaricom has good coverage over most of the country, ask someone where you are going what Safaricom's coverage is like there. Especially if they can get a 3G signal. If they can that is your best solution. A Safaricom 3G dongle costs 1,999 shillings and data bundles are relatively inexpensive. Details on Safaricom's website.

The vast majority of us here in Kenya access the internet via either our phone or with mobile dongles plugged into our computers. I am lucky, where I live I can use HSPA+ which gives a theoretical maximum speed of 21 Mbps and I have clocked it at 14 mbps which is considerably faster than the speeds I was getting using friends' WiFi in the UK, but the service is limited to a few areas

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
6. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

If Safaricom does'nt work, nothing else will work.

Safaricom have the widest & strongest coverage.

Northern California
7. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

Thank you. Very helpful. It is difficult to sort this out from half a world away. And time in country is always so short.

8. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, October 28, 2013
9. Re: Internet access with bandwidth for data files

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 30, 2014