We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wood carvings in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan, United...
reviews: 35
Wood carvings in Nairobi

I went to Mombassa about 10 years ago and regret not buying a 6 foot Giraffe at a workers Co-Operative there which also offered courier services back to your home country.

Now I am going on safari again but to Nairobi and wondered whether anyone could recommend a similar sort of place that can take credit cards and arrange courier. We only have one day/night in Nairobi so want to make it a one stop shop but also without just going to some posh department store and them making all the money from it.

We are visiting the Karen Bixen Giraffe's so wondered if they might do it but would welcome other suggestions for courier/credit card and choice all-in-one.

Also can I just confirm on the visas that the information from a post about 3 years ago is still valid that you do not need a photo if you buy at the airport just passport and US Dollars is all you need with 2 free pages in the passport?

7 replies to this topic
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 49
1. Re: Wood carvings in Nairobi

Can't help with the carving but as far as the visas are concerned, you are correct about not needing photos and the two blank pages, but as you are from the UK you don't have to buy dollars to pay for the visa, they will accept £30 sterling (they also accept Euros and Swiss Francs)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: Wood carvings in Nairobi

There are some curio shops in Langata where might be able to purchase the Giraffe wood carving.

Otherwise there are plenty of them at the city market in town. That said, traffic is heavy from Karen to town.

Best that you have it couriered yourself immediately after buying it rather than the vendor do it for you.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: Wood carvings in Nairobi

Just remembered. There's Utamaduni Crafts in Karen

http://utamaduni.com/

Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: Wood carvings in Nairobi

Utamaduni Village which is located near the Karen Blixen Museum would be my first choice. They will also arrange to ship your shopping to your doorstep.

Wigan, United...
5. Re: Wood carvings in Nairobi

Many thanks for the replies. Utumanduni it is then and really appreciate this advice as it will save us a lot of trying different places when we are going to be short on time.

Thanks also for the visa information.

Cleveland
6. Re: Wood carvings in Nairobi

Hiya ...

Utamaduni is great...but if you're going to be IN the city...the Collector's Den (in the Hilton square) will gladly help you out as well. Cash, visa, personal check...no problems. There's also another shop in the Hilton square that has very nice collector-item sculptures...called KumuKumu.

Their prices might be a bit higher...but if you already have a price from Utamaduni, Collector's Den will certainly compromise...especially now that their trade is probably suffering a bit due to low tourist traffic.

One of my group did purchase a large giraffe from Collector's Den 6yrs ago, and he's still polishing it every week ;-). There IS another shop in the Hilton square that offers high-end carvings...but they're one-offs that you won't find anywhere else...very nice artist-quality items. If my memory is correct, it's called Kumukumu, altho they HAVE changed their name a few times.

Good luck regardless of where you end up ;-)

Edited: 10:17 am, November 25, 2013
Wigan, United...
7. Re: Wood carvings in Nairobi

Many thanks- we are in Nairobi somewhere but going out to Karen Blixen so makes sense to go to the one near there but will take your suggestions as a good back up option.

Reply to: Wood carvings in Nairobi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted