We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What construction is going on in Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 124
What construction is going on in Nairobi?

I am leaving on safari next week with Globus. I received a call that they are cancelling our visits to the Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe Center due to construction blockage of the roads. I am very disappointed to be missing out on these experiences. Just want to be prepared if this construction is pervasive and will end up affecting other aspects of the trip (driving times, etc), or if it really is just central to these two locations.

If we end up with free time in Nairobi, will it be possible to hire a taxi to one of these places? Or are taxis unsafe (female travelling solo)?

Thank you.

nyc
1. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

Yes, there is quite a bit of construction getting to/from that area and burbs of Karen, as well other areas in/around Nairobi.

But whether you go with the group or hire a taxi, you'll likely still get caught up.

Inasmuch as these stops - Karen Blixen, Giraffe Center and others in the area are on the agenda of most all tours, whether group of private... haven't heard of any cancelling them.

It's a matter of proper scheduling... departing early, allowing sufficient time and being patient thru the construction

... Welcome to Nairobi!

I'm sure others on your tour will want to stop here, so suggest you all insist and hopefully the tour operator will oblige. Am sure Globus doesn't want to have a group of pi##ed participants to have to deal with.

Nairobi
2. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

Hi

I wonder why Globus would cancel the tour when there is an alternative route to use. Langata road is a nightmare due to the construction going on near Bomas of Kenya, but they can use Ngong road through Karen shopping centre to Blixen and onto Giraffe centre through Hardy area.

Good luck

Allan

Leeds
reviews: 2
3. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

but wouldn't everyone else be using this route too hence the massive delays?

nyc
4. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

Regardless... it's NBO, traffic is always horrific! Except for Sunday morning.

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 159
5. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

"Except for Sunday morning".

Apart from this weekend when it's the Nairobi marathon!!! Deep joy.

Nairobi, Kenya
6. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

There has been road constructions going on Langata road, one of the main roads from the City center to Karen area for Months now and this is the first time that I hear a cancellation because of the same. Even with the constructions going on, it is still quite easy to tour the Giraffe center and the Elephant orphanage and the Karen Blixen Museum if you are with someone who has been on the same roads before and who know the way around traffic.

You can easily visit the areas you are interested in but important to note is not to get on the road before 9 am otherwise you will spend most of the time in traffic but after 9am the traffic eases and you would not have much trouble coming from the city center through Langata road.

Kenya
reviews: 22
7. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

With proper planning, it's still possible for you to carry on with the visits.. Some of us live near these constructions and it doesn't mean that we're now grounded, we plan our departures an hour or two earlier than the normal time. During the middle of the day it's better.. Morning and evening hours are terrible

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
8. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

I do agree that traffic is a nightmare, but to cancel is ridiculous. What hotel will you be staying at in Nairobi?

As others have said there are alternative routes. If you are heading to Karen in the morning, you are going against traffic, so should be easy to get in. Getting home may take a bit longer.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 94
9. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

The taxis are very safe in Nairobi. I've lived in Nairobi for 17 months, and only once have I had a real problem with a driver,. You can make your visits at another hour of the day.

Boston...
reviews: 124
10. Re: What construction is going on in Nairobi?

We will be at the Safari Park Hotel. The tour starts tomorrow, so we shall see what they say when we arrive.