We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport lounge at Nairobi Airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brentwood, United...
reviews: 91
Airport lounge at Nairobi Airport

We have a 6 hour layover at Nairobi Airport this Friday (we are flying from Zanzibar, and then on to Heathrow with BA). Could anyone tell me if the lounges are still available airside since the fire? If yes, could you tell me where they are, and what the cost is?

Many thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
1. Re: Airport lounge at Nairobi Airport

Hopefully someone who uses lounges and has passed through NBO since the beginning of October, when the latest changes were made to post-fire operations, will be along.

i don't use lounges, a bar is enough for me but as I understand it BA's lounge was in the central multi-storey block, this was above the Arrivals terminal and was thus destroyed by the fire.

There is a second issue, just before the fire there was a contractual dispute between the company that had a monopoly of all duty free shops at all Kenyan airports, and that also operated the lounges. In this dispute all the company's staff were ejected from the airport, and the goods from the shops removed and dumped in the car park . I don't know if the operation of the lounges was affected by this, if it was they may not have been operating even before the fire.

KAA is currently advertising Invitations To Tender for the operation of shops and lounges at the airport, I don't know if there is some sort of temporary arrangement in place for the non-airline specific 'pay to use' lounges in the mean time.

If you are travelling business / first class, you would expect a decent airline to have made alternative arrangements for it's premium customers but it is BA you are flying with ヅ

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 91
2. Re: Airport lounge at Nairobi Airport

Thanks Doffcocker.

I asked at the information desk and they confirmed there isn't a lounge that you can pay to use. The only lounge they have is the Kenya Airways one.

3. Re: Airport lounge at Nairobi Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 28, 2014