We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe tontravel next week?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corona del Mar...
reviews: 5
Safe tontravel next week?

I am set to go on safari next week. Only spending one night in Nairobi once I arrive. I am debating in cancelling the trip because im not sure i can calm my nerves enough to go. Has anyone just come back from there and felt things were fine? I am aware that things can happen anywhere and dont want people to hear how Kenya needs our support. I would like to hear from those who just came back or are currently traveling there soon so they can understand the nerves i have. Thanks

Edited: 12:13 am, October 15, 2013
7 replies to this topic
1. Re: Safe tontravel next week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:35 am, November 04, 2013

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
2. Re: Safe tontravel next week?

Taryn,

no-one can give you a guarantee of safety here in Kenya or anywhere else for that matter, I've just read a news story that the Police have just foiled another planned terrorist attack in London.

With due respect to the poor people who were unlucky enough to find themselves in that awful incident, but whilst it was happening there were tens of thousands of tourists in Nairobi, on safari and chilling at the beaches. Since the incident around 60,000 tourists have come and gone without incident. Several asked the same question as you on this forum and have now been and gone or are currently here

No-one can give you an assurance that there will not be any other incidents, but your chances of of being involved in one, if it should occur, are miniscule, especially if you are only spending one night in Nairobi before heading to the parks and reserves which have always been unlikely targets and where there have never been any terrorist type incidents. If you are that nervous stay in your hotel in Nairobi, or at least avoid malls, government or foreign government's buildings, and places where large numbers of people gather

Nairobi, Nairobi...
3. Re: Safe tontravel next week?

I live in Nairobi and Kenyan myself. All is well. Come and I wish you a great time! Do email me on weekendcamping254@gmail.com if you need any help. I went to an international school so have a lot of friends all over, so if you need assistance or anything comes up, I don't mind helping. Happy safari-ing

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 84
4. Re: Safe tontravel next week?

Dear Taryn C,

I live in Nairobi for 10 months of the year. I can assure that it is highly unlikely an attack like Westgate will happen again. You're only spending one night in Nairobi so you'll have nothing to feat. I continue to out about my business without any worry. I sincerely love living here.

Corona del Mar...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Safe tontravel next week?

Thank you Brenda! Very kind.

Bratislava, Slovakia
reviews: 11
6. Re: Safe tontravel next week?

Hi, just got back from Kenya a few days ago. As we travelled just after the seige, we were considering cancelling. I am glad we didn't, the holiday was amazing! I felt absulutely safe, at the airports, by the ocean, on safari.... no signs of worry whats so ever. You really don' t need to be worried. Just travel and enjoy the holiday. My only advice would be - just carefully choose who you go to safari or other trips with. Especially on the beach,there are many beach boys offering various trips, but not all of them are reliable. You better go for a bigger trusted company.

manchester, United...
reviews: 44
7. Re: Safe tontravel next week?

Just got back last week............amazing trip - wildlife was spectacular and we never felt unsafe at any time. Just about to book for next Easter!

Reply to: Safe tontravel next week?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted