We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get : USD bills - Series 2009 and after

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 34
Where to get : USD bills - Series 2009 and after

Hi

This is a dumb question - but I have to ask.

Which banks in the US actually give out NEW or RELATIVELY NEW bills - with no markings, writings, creases?

So far, I have asked 5 banks - 3 of which are major, and 2 are local. And no banks in the US can give out new bills

Am I the only one who's having a big obstacle getting USD bills (series 2009 and after) that will be accepted in Kenya/Tanzania?

I dont understand why this is such a huge problem here - I never have any problems getting fresh new bills in both developed and developing nations outside of the US

Any tips will be appreciated

4 replies to this topic
nyc
1. Re: Where to get : USD bills - Series 2009 and after

It's very possible specific banks might not have 'freshly minted' new bills, but you don't need 'new.' Just those in good condition without looking as if the notes had been washed in your jeans.

I have accounts at Citi, Chase and TD, and hand over a list to my bank rep of the denominations I require and request they do their utmost to put this together for pick-up in a few days. And I use the dates from 2006 forward, though last I obtained funds for a Kenya/Tanzania trip... lots were dated 2008/9, which was fine.

On pick-up, I go thru the notes and if some don't appear to be okay, ask for a replacement, which they almost always can do.

If for some reason I can't get all I need from one bank, I'll stop into one of the others for the remainder.

Michigan
reviews: 39
2. Re: Where to get : USD bills - Series 2009 and after

I have not had any issues getting them through my bank/credit union. I just send them an email with a request of how much I want, and the breakdown. They have emailed or called me within a day saying they are ready for pick up. I request they be within the last 5 years. The only ones they seem to have a harder time finding are the $50 bills, so they just have to dig a little further. Those typically look the newest.

Pittsford, New York
3. Re: Where to get : USD bills - Series 2009 and after

I've never had a problem with Bank of America, I just ask them a few days in advance. If you are looking to change money at a Forex bureau in Kenya/Tanzania then they prefer the bigger bills (100s) and you will get a better exchange rate, but for tips you will need the smaller ones. For tips they are also happy to receive it in local currency and your debit card should work at most ATMs over there.

nyc
4. Re: Where to get : USD bills - Series 2009 and after

I tend to avoid using USD$100 notes in Kenya as for some unknown reason they feel these are counterfeit. In fact the USD$100 notes are the most often counterfeited in the world. Why, in fact, the US issued, just yesterday their NEW USD$100 notes that should be more difficult to counterfeit.

So when in Kenya, I never take/use higher than USD$50 notes.

Reply to: Where to get : USD bills - Series 2009 and after
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted